Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As suggested by other members now Olive is up and running I am starting a new thread to document rides out, the first couple of rides will be duplicated from my other thread but I really want to document from the beginning of Olive's adventures from day one. :D

My first long ride was 13/03/2016

"Just had a brilliant ride out on Olive from Stokesley to Helmsley, North Yorkshire. With new petrol tap on and the original innards back in the carbs hubby has set her all up and she is running really well. I rode all the way there and quite a way back before I swapped over with him and drove the van. Well I had to let him have a little go after all his hard work.

Graham would have loved seeing the scooter rally that was on, took a few photos but there was hundreds of them most on their way to Whitby.

Helmsley ride out 013.JPG Irene's CB200 Clay Bank Car Park (485 x 496).jpg Helmsley ride out 017.JPG Helmsley ride out 018.JPG Helmsley ride out 019.JPG Helmsley ride out 020.JPG Helmsley ride out 021.JPG Helmsley ride out 022.JPG Helmsley ride out 023.JPG Helmsley ride out 024.JPG Helmsley ride out 025.JPG

First one is of me in the car park at the top of Clay Bank some 40 years after having my picture taken in the same spot on my first CB200 in picture two"

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Second and longer ride was solo with no back up on 25/03/2016

"Just had an 83 mile jaunt on Olive. Started near Stokesley, North Yorkshire along one of the top 10 bike roads in the UK to Helmsley. Had a coffee and a lovely chat with one of the local bikers Colin. Decided not to come straight back home so headed for Pickering where there was the usual nose to tail traffic jam. I did not mind as it gave me practice on my clutch control and balance at slow speeds. Did start to get cramp in my legs though so was glad when I got to the roundabout and turned left for Whitby. Stopped at the Hole of Horcum car park to get some pics of Olive and the lovely view. Got chatting to another female biker and she was happy to talk but surprised as she finds people don't usually talk to her. So come on you guys don't be afraid of chatting to us, promise we won't bite! She did say it is usually the young guys who are the ignorant ones, scared they will lose their street cred. :roll:

Good Friday ride out on Olive 001.JPG Good Friday ride out on Olive 002.JPG Good Friday ride out on Olive 003.JPG Good Friday ride out on Olive 004.JPG

Back on the bike and heading towards Sleights stopped again for another photo of the view towards Whitby. The batteries in my camera promptly died after one photo so I resorted to my phone camera but god knows where the cable is to put them on the computer!

Good Friday ride out on Olive 005.JPG

Great to see so many motorbikes and scooters out enjoying the sunshine. Continued on and as I got near Whitby I headed for home. Then I remembered why I did not like the coast road when the wind started hitting me head on. Amazing how it affects my little bike. At around 70 miles in I thought the wind must be getting really bad as I had her on full throttle going up hill and the performance was bad. Quickly realised it was not the wind and turned the fuel on to reserve and away she went again on full power. It got quite cold in the wind and despite getting arm pump I rode on past Scaling Dam, Lockwood Beck Reservoir, Clay Bank (EDIT: oops meant Birk Brow - went up Clay Bank on the way out) car park and Guisborough. I am glad to be home with a nice hot cup of tea but I really did enjoy my little jaunt.

Must get my mechanic to have a listen to Olive as I think the tappets may need adjusting now. :cool: "

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sunday 03/04/2016

Had a little jaunt out today - 89 miles. Went to Helmsley again stopping for a chat with other bikers. Olive got some really nice compliments. Set off again heading towards Scarborough - just past Kirbymoorside turned right through Marton, Normanby, Amotherby (nice biking country lanes) then on to Castle Howard for coffee.

Bike ride out 89 miles Helmsley and surounding villages 3.4.16 003.JPG Bike ride out 89 miles Helmsley and surounding villages 3.4.16 004.JPG Bike ride out 89 miles Helmsley and surounding villages 3.4.16 007.JPG Bike ride out 89 miles Helmsley and surounding villages 3.4.16 009.JPG Bike ride out 89 miles Helmsley and surounding villages 3.4.16 010.JPG Bike ride out 89 miles Helmsley and surounding villages 3.4.16 013.JPG

Back to Helmsley via Hovingham and back home. Steve went on ahead on the KTM Duke and kept waiting for me to catch up. I wasn't too far behind and managed to overtake two cars once I got more confident. Back home, washed the bikes and sat in the sun having a cup of tea.

Bike ride out 89 miles Helmsley and surounding villages 3.4.16 016.JPG Bike ride out 89 miles Helmsley and surounding villages 3.4.16 015.JPG

Great day all round. The roads were surprisingly quiet as well. Not bad for the beginning of April.

Really feeling the aches and pains since but can't wait for another sunny day and more adventures with Olive.

Irene x

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Have to say that is one beautiful job on the bike. Nice work Hubby!!
Do you ever get to the Lake District on the bike?
One of my dreams, but will never happen.
At least I have been there though.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Such beautiful country there. I like Whitby - just N of Robin Hood's Bay if I recall? Only have had the chance to walk there (Wainwright's coast-to-coast). I imagine it's a blast to ride it.

To my fellow Californians, should you come across this thread, they have a number of Surf shops in Whitby, or at least they did a decade ago.

Thank you for sharing this, Irene.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Nice. I like the colour of the bike too. I am in the process of repainting mine to olive - ish as well. Though, the shade is really called sage green but....

·
Registered
979 Posts
Cracking good job on the bike Irene. Love the pictures too! When mine is finally done I'm thinking of sticking a go-pro video camera to my helmet and going for a few rides around the peak district to show our American friends what fabulous twisty roads we have. Not to mention the scenery! :D

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the pics. Have to say that is one beautiful job on the bike. Nice work Hubby!!
Do you ever get to the Lake District on the bike?
One of my dreams, but will never happen.
At least I have been there though.
Thanks, I will pass on your nice comments to Steve.

We took the KTM Duke 640 in the motorhome last year and road on the east coast of the Lakes near Ravenglass which was a great biking road. I will have to see how things go as it is nearly 40 years since I rode a motorcycle so I am taking things one step at a time. Hopefully I will get further a field in time.

Irene x

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Such beautiful country there. I like Whitby - just N of Robin Hood's Bay if I recall? Only have had the chance to walk there (Wainwright's coast-to-coast). I imagine it's a blast to ride it.

To my fellow Californians, should you come across this thread, they have a number of Surf shops in Whitby, or at least they did a decade ago.

Thank you for sharing this, Irene.
My pleasure Gene,

Robin Hoods Bay will be on my list of rides, I am really lucky to have such beautiful scenery and great biking roads on the doorstep.

I should think they still have surfing shops in Whitby but I know there is one in Saltburn by the Sea which has great surfing as well a fish and chips of course.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice. I like the colour of the bike too. I am in the process of repainting mine to olive - ish as well. Though, the shade is really called sage green but....
Thanks 76TWIN.

The paint colour is the original (repainted) Muscat Green. The name is taken from the green of the olive but also a bit of humour as the camshaft was worn due to to lack of oil feed Popeye's Olive Oil came to mind now she has the oil feed back. :lol:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Cracking good job on the bike Irene. Love the pictures too! When mine is finally done I'm thinking of sticking a go-pro video camera to my helmet and going for a few rides around the peak district to show our American friends what fabulous twisty roads we have. Not to mention the scenery! :D
Thanks James. I would love to do that as well - around North Yorkshire though. Our youngest daughter has a Go Pro but we can't borrow it as she is in the Arctic - just a bit too far to travel. It would also show up my learner errors so probably best I don't do it just yet! :roll:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a short 52 mile ride out today, sunny but with a chilly wind. Fuelled up at a pay at pump station to save taking helmet off. Set off along the A1365 towards Stokesley, on to the A172 to the Cleveland Tontine and joined the A19 for a short while turning off along the B684 in to Osmotherley, North Yorkshire. Stopped for a coffee and parked legally but was still asked to move the bikes by a lady in an estate car. She insisted that we move them on to the village green (very sloped) or park on yellow lines. Her reasoning was we were outside her shop and she wanted to park there. We were going in to the Cafe next door and as she did not have a private parking space I did not concede although at one point Steve was going to. Her words were "you are not being very fair" which bemused passers by. I though a small village would welcome people who were spending money. Needless to say we did not visit her Antique shop but enjoyed a coffee sat in the sunshine next door.

Osmotherly to Hawnby and Chop Gate 09.04.2016 002.JPG

Suitably refreshed Steve made a visit to the famous Osmotherley public toilets, they are kept so clean and people post thank you notes on the walls. He did not take his camera with him as it may have been a public order offence. :eek:

Continued our journey along some lovely quiet twisty roads with plenty of valleys and hills to give me more practice through Snilesworth (blink and you would miss it) then through Hawnby and turning left on to the B1257 heading home.

Osmotherly to Hawnby and Chop Gate 09.04.2016 003.JPG Osmotherly to Hawnby and Chop Gate 09.04.2016 005.JPG Osmotherly to Hawnby and Chop Gate 09.04.2016 009.JPG

Stopped at Newgate Bank for a few photos then through Chop Gate, past Clay Bank, Stokesley and home for a nice hot bath. Weather forecast is looking good for tomorrow as well so better get the map out and start finding some more country lanes. :D

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Nice ride and pictures.

Some folks get quite unreasonable about bike parking. When I was still working, we had a dedicated bike parking area in the main car park, but car drivers would still park there.

More recently, when I still had the monkey bike, parked it at our local Tesco, bike bay close to main entrance. Had a row with a fat slob who wanted to park his 4WD drive there, so that his fat wife wouldn't have so far to push her trolley. Final straw was when they tried to leave the empty trolley in the bike bay. :mad:

Much the same happens when towing the caravan, white van men knick the dedicated car and caravan slots.

Oops, ranting again.

PS I always use the 'Pay at Pump' option at our local Tesco, I object to being told to remove my helmet.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Awesome, looking pair of bikes.
That lady is the type of driver who would have cut in front of you at an interesection and claimed never to see you. We had a campaign here a little while ago where bikers parked in the center of parallel angled parks, one bike per space to complain about the lack of bike dedicated parking. 10 riders taking up 10 spots in a row definitly raised the ire of car drivers....but the local council ignored it as is their way.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Nice Rides including the scenery and both bikes ;) How is the Suzuki running for your husband? Does he ever switch mounts with you so you can ride it ? :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice ride and pictures.

Some folks get quite unreasonable about bike parking. When I was still working, we had a dedicated bike parking area in the main car park, but car drivers would still park there.

More recently, when I still had the monkey bike, parked it at our local Tesco, bike bay close to main entrance. Had a row with a fat slob who wanted to park his 4WD drive there, so that his fat wife wouldn't have so far to push her trolley. Final straw was when they tried to leave the empty trolley in the bike bay. :mad:

Much the same happens when towing the caravan, white van men knick the dedicated car and caravan slots.

Oops, ranting again.

PS I always use the 'Pay at Pump' option at our local Tesco, I object to being told to remove my helmet.
She actually tried to reverse near the bikes several times as if that would make us move them. We had already taken off our bike gear and there wasn't an alternative space for us. She was elderly but not in-firmed and very posh. She just parked round the corner (15 minute parking bay) and Steve went to check if she needed a hand taking anything in to the shop but all she had was a bag of potatoes!

:lol::lol: That is us in more ways than one, we used to tow a caravan, we now have a motor home and Steve drives a white van. He also rides a mountain bike so we can see things from all points of view but not many others do as you well know Richard. "O to walk a mile in their shoes" I think people should be made to - just joining in on your rant. ;)

I don't mind removing my helmet as I love the surprised look on peoples faces - just too much of a faff. :D

1 - 20 of 176 Posts