Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
I have just finished a rebuild on a1976 CB200 and note that the service manual advises checking the oil flow to the camshaft.

I removed the cylinder head cover dome nut at the rear of the right and side and oil flowed out fairly quickly.

The manual advised doing the same thing on the left hand side (points side ) which I did but no oil flowed when I loosened the left hand rear head cover dome nut. I assume I would have to crack the gasket seal to get oil from this area.
Is this correct ?
I cannot see any other oil supply to the left hand cam bearing

It looks like the oil goes up the right hand stud into the right side of the cam then along the inside of the cam to the left hand side bearing.
Your confirmation or otherwise would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Johnybee

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
I'm not sure how you ended up posting here, but its in the entirely wrong forum. Maybe someone will move it for you. Otherwise repost in the correct forum.
Not necessary to chastise the noob, not everyone is forum-friendly and we were all new once. I'll take care of it and remove your comment to avoid distraction from his question.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Ancientdad,
Yes have an oil flow diagram from the FSM but is very difficult to see what is going on.
It is viewed from the side and clearly shows the oil going up the right hand cylinder stud but difficult to see the other side.
I may get a response soon !
Best regards,
Johnybee.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Hi Johny,

Which service manual are you reading ? Not the Haynes 'Book of Lies', by any chance ?

On the 175 engines, oil flows up both of those rear studs, through tiny holes at the base of the studs, direct oil feed to both left and right cam bearings,

On the CB200 engine, only the right hand stud has that drilling. Oil flows up to the right hand bearing, then through the cam to the left hand cam bearing. Goodness knows why Honda made this change. Seizures of the left hand cam bearing is not unknown on the 200 engine. Anyway, that's why you only get oil at the right hand rear stud on the 200 motor.

Here's a couple of photos, spot the engine numbers and difference in oil ways. Tiny left hand side drilling in 175 case, blank on 200.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Johny,

Which service manual are you reading ? Not the Haynes 'Book of Lies', by any chance ?

On the 175 engines, oil flows up both of those rear studs, through tiny holes at the base of the studs, direct oil feed to both left and right cam bearings,

On the CB200 engine, only the right hand stud has that drilling. Oil flows up to the right hand bearing, then through the cam to the left hand cam bearing. Goodness knows why Honda made this change. Seizures of the left hand cam bearing is not unknown on the 200 engine. Anyway, that's why you only get oil at the right hand rear stud on the 200 motor.

Here's a couple of photos, spot the engine numbers and difference in oil ways. Tiny left hand side drilling in 175 case, blank on 200.

View attachment 310194

View attachment 310195

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks Richard,

I have got the Haynes manual but it mostly covers the 175 engine with an appendix covering the 200.

As you suggest it could be described as a 'book of lies'

I have mostly worked from the small Honda cb200 service book with the blue cover.This does have an oil flow diagram but not easy (for me ) to understand.

Do you know if there is a better manual available anywhere ?

Good news on the oil to the cam as I was unsure and needed the confirmation.

I was thinking of a new project either a cd175 or cb160 .which would you recommend ?

Thanks again for your help,

Johny

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
I have a .pdf copy of the Honda FSM for the CB/CL200. I think I got it from the documents section of this site. I think the file is small enough for me to email it direct to you as an attachment if we can't find it here as a download.

Wonder if this link still works:

CB/CL 200 FSM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts