Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home last night from the brewery;

Driving quickly on Le Jeune Blvd,

A yellow light came on sooner than I expected, I had to hold the clutch and switch down gears without downshifting; and my neutral light didn't come on.
Is this bad to do so, on these bikes?

Sometimes I do this downshifting several gears and I hear some loose rattling in the bike or chain?

Anyway; my neutral light doesn't turn on anymore in neutral, at first I thought I lost neutral and got very scared, but it's still there, just no light.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Please explain how you "switched down gears" without downshifting......
Note that the transmission shafts should be revolving when shifting (Bike rolling).....Forcing downshifts while stopped is hard on the transmission....

The neutral light is triggered by a small electrical switch mounted on the left end of the shift drum...(inside sprocket cover)
The Green with Red stripe wire gets grounded when the drum is in the neutral position, but that wire can come loose/out of its connector or be cut by a loose chain.... Or, the switch could have "died".....

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The noises you mention could very well be created by going down to second or first gear at a higher speed than is appropriate for the gear while coasting with the clutch in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please explain how you "switched down gears" without downshifting......
Note that the transmission shafts should be revolving when shifting (Bike rolling).....Forcing downshifts while stopped is hard on the transmission....

The neutral light is triggered by a small electrical switch mounted on the left end of the shift drum...(inside sprocket cover)
The Green with Red stripe wire gets grounded when the drum is in the neutral position, but that wire can come loose/out of its connector or be cut by a loose chain.... Or, the switch could have "died".....
okay, noted I'll do my best to not have to do that.
Still getting used to my bike, My fathers bike tells you what gear you're in hahaha.

I found the electrical diagram for the switch

cb200 neutral switch.jpg

The noises you mention could very well be created by going down to second or first gear at a higher speed than is appropriate for the gear while coasting with the clutch in.
Okay this is what I was referring too, I was really tired when I wrote that.

What would be the appropriate solution to have to stop really quickly, holding the rear break while going down every gear continously, ie not skipping,

Fourth > hold clutch > third / second / neutral / let go of clutch

this is where I hear the noise

This could've broken my neutral light swtich? or at the least knocked it loose or such, will it damage the bike to run it as so?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
When you need to get stopped, use both the front and rear brakes (that should be your normal procedure every time you stop). Pull the clutch lever. Under normal conditions you'll have plenty of time to downshift at the appropriate speed for each gear. No need to release the clutch lever between shifts.

In more urgent circumstances just pull the clutch lever and use both brakes to get stopped. Shifting while the bike is stationary is not ideal but it's a lot better than crashing because you got "task saturated".

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Fourth > hold clutch > third / second / neutral / let go of clutch

this is where I hear the noise
That activity won't hurt the neutral switch, but depending on the speed you were going when you did the multiple downshifts while the clutch was in might make more noise than usual. One of the things I learned early was to blip the throttle a little while downshifting (obviously, when the clutch is in and you're going down a gear) to help make the engine speed closer to the next lower gear's engine speed, making it a smoother match - kinda the opposite of going down a gear and just letting the clutch out with the engine at idle, the wheel speed is significantly faster than the corresponding engine speed for the gear

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The switch in question, I followed the wires, made sure it was connected, followed it to the bulb, everything looks plugged in, rattled it, make something was loose.

Bike works fine just no neutral light

Cant find the correct replacement part number for it actually, might aswell replace it? it is 40+ years old..
Can't find it on 4into1

Is it a similar part number to sister bikes?

IMG_1961.jpg

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Before you buy something you may not need, turn the "kill" switch to off, turn the key switch on and jump from the neutral switch wire connection to ground..... See if the indicator lamp comes on..... IF NOT, then next check the bulb......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts