Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I just joined today and I have been doing a total restoration on a 1974 cb200 i have gotten help from previous posts for some of my issues but im having trouble with the back running light and gauge cluster lights not working could somebody help me

·
Registered
971 Posts
The backlights on the gauges are fed power from a brown/white wire. Depending on the year and geography of your bike, the brown/white wires should have power whenever the bike is on. The brown/white wire originates at the ignition switch and they get power from the brown wire. Now, the brown wire will either have power all the time or only when the headlight switch is turned on (again, depending on year and geography). Coincidentally, the brown wire is also how the tail light gets power. So if you're having trouble with gauge lights and the tail light, I suspect the brown wire might not have power. Generally, this will get power from the right hand control switch, but it also changes by year and geography.

Basically, trace your brown/white and brown wires and make sure you're getting power from somewhere. If you're not, that's your problem. :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou I'll check it out as soon as I get home
By any chance would you know why the taillight comes on when the key is turned 2 clicks and every thing else turns off and everything else but the above issue only works on the first click

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
To save retyping it all, from my project log:

Spent a while this afternoon looking at wiring diagrams and tracing the wires in my K4 loom. Got some coloured felt pens and some paper, worked a few things out. I've finally worked out the relationship between the plain brown wires, the brown wires with white trace, the ignition and lighting switches, and the side and tail lights.

Brown wire supplies tail and side light.

Ignition switch in 'run' position, side and tail lights illuminate when lighting switch is in dip or main position. Brown/white wire from lighting switch is live when switch is in dip or main position, connects to brown wire at ignition switch in 'run' position.

Ignition switch in 'aux' position, side and tail lights illuminate. Red ( +ve ) wire in ignition switch connects to brown wire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts