Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to get a 1975 cb200t on the road and am almost there just having some problems with the electric start controls. Before you read any further I know this could probably be clearer and better with images but I didn't have a camera and wanted any insight anyone could provide. I thank you in advance.

When I bought the bike the piece on the killswitch control that holds the front brake lever had been snapped off by the P.O. I looked around trying to find the same lever and finally settled on a lever that was for a cb200. Now I didn't think the wiring would be that different and that I could figure it out but am stuck with everything working except for the starter.

OLD CONTROL (cb200t)
Starter button: three wires
yellow/red - starter
blue/white - plugs into a wire on clutch side controls
black - ground? goes into a bullet connector that has 4 other black wires)
Killswitch: two wires
black/white- goes into other black and white cable in the headlight bucket
black - goes into the same bullet connector as the black wire from the starter button

NEW CONTROL (cb200?) - this switch I bought off ebay NOS.
Starter button: one wire
yellow/red
killswitch: two wires
black/white
black
lo-hi beam control: three wires - not using these at all so not even plugging them in, don't think it's an issue? the current clutch side controls also has the lo-hi beam controls so don't need this one.

So what I came up with was
NEW SWITCH (CB200)
I plugged yellow/red into yellow/red.
I plugged the black/white (killswitch) into where the old black/white killswitch went
I plugged the black ground (killswitch) into one of the empty spots left by a black cable from the old switch
This left me with the blue/white wire from the current clutch side controls not plugged into anything since there wasn't a wire for that one the new switch.
So I plugged the blue/white wire into the other empty spot where the other black ground wire was and that made the headlight work anyways. So everything is working except for the starter button.

If there is something simple I am overlooking please let me know. I know there are probably 1000 different reasons this isn't working but if anyone has dealt with something similar I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks!
Andrew

this is the new switch I bought:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Andrew.... The problem is....One switch grounds the yellow/red to complete the start circuit (CB/CL 200 switch)...The other shuts off the lights and applies power to the yellow/red wire as the other end of the solenoid coil is already grounded (CB 200T)

Since they work oppositely, I'll need to know what color wires ALL the wires are on the switch you will now be using, and we'll need to modify the solenoid connections to work with that switch.....
I'll edit in what wires you have to connect and to what "old" color wire......(I'll assume a CB 200, NOT a CB 200T switch.....)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
If you actually will be using a CB/CL200 switch, it should have the following color wires:
1 black/white (kill switch)
2 Black ( keyed power to everything)
1 brown/white (lighting from main switch)
1 white ( lo beam)
1 blue (hi beam)
1 yellow and 1 white/yellow (overcharge when light on...to alternator)
1 yellow/red (starter)

We'll call this switch Type 1....If this is what you are/will be using, let me know.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Thank you for your reply!

The switch i'm using has:
1 black/white (killswitch)
1 black (coming from killswitch area)
1 brown/blue (going to lighting?)
1 white
1 blue
1 yellow/red

only 6 wires altogether. i'll take a picture as soon as I can and upload it here.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Cancel previous post..... Since everything works but the starter, lets just connect that to work..... Plug the yellow/red into your old yellow/red wire.....Then go back to the solenoid. there should be two small gauge wires coming out of it, one is the yellow/red.....Whatever the other color soleniod wire is, It needs to connect to either a ground,(if the yellow/red has power when the button is pushed) Or power (black wire) if the yellow/red makes ground when button is pushed....Try either way, It won't cause any problem if it's the "wrong" choice ....If it works, great, you are done....If not, simply swap from power to ground or ground to power (depending on the previous way it was connected).....Phone if confused...540-525-5199...Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the part no. for the switch i bought is: 35150-354-730 if that helps

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Just reconnect the solenoid as specified, it will work.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's great! thanks so much for the help. I'll try it out tomorrow and report back here!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for taking so long to report back. I haven't had time to work on the bike since I last posted because of a crazy work schedule and being out of town. Got some time this week. Will hopefully get to sort it out this week. Will post some photos of the bike as well as a cheap work around for putting clubmans on a cb200 and keeping the stock lights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dear Andrewm, I am having exactly the same issue finding the right switch for my 75 200t and have been contemplating buying the exact same switch as you did (from the 1974 version of the bike) I wondered if you managed to get the switch to work after the advice from 66sprint?? could you let me know if you managed to make the replacement unit work on your cb200t please? This will help me to know if I should go ahead and buy it. I dont want to waste money if it doesn't work.
Thanks so much
Graham.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
DrO.... You can make almost any Honda switch unit work....It's just a matter of will it have all the correct functions (too few, or too many).... I'm available by phone for problems.....540-525-5199...Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you Steve, This is helpful. I am thinking of going with the same switch as the guy in the related post, if I can follow those instructions I think it will work. The main thing is that I would likw to ensure that the starter switch can be functional. I may take you up on your offer to call if I get into trouble. Thanks for your kind response.
Graham.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had someone else take care of it when I was getting it safetied because I was already having some tires put on. But it was just a grounding issue. I'm not sure exactly where but something about a ground wasn't hooked up or needed to be disconnected. I can't remember, sorry this isn't really helpful at all. it's been years and I didn't do the work in the first place. Still using that switch though never had a problem with it once it was sorted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts