Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I’m trying to figure out if I have a working starter motor. I’ve got an original and one I got off eBay which is in slightly better condition.

I have a battery I can use and the original bits of cabling which include what I think is the magnetic switch/solenoid (looking at wiring diagram).

Ultimately I’m going to be using an M Unit and keyless ignition etc, but I’d like to know which, if any of these starters is working. The second one I bought was sold as a working unit.

I want to clean one up and paint it etc and need to check it works first, any advice on how to do it? If I just loop a battery in nothing happens, so I’m guessing I need to create more of a circuit to mimic the real thing.

It’s possible the solenoid is faulty too, as the bike would only kick start when I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Did you do a google search? I just did one and came up with this:

I've got a spare starter that I need to check as well. If you try this method post up how it went.

Cheers

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, nevermind, I found out by chance from another thread. Seems I have two working starters :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry our posts overlapped. Pretty much the same as this - I just hooked up a jump start kit with negative end to the starter motor frame and positive end to the positive lead off the solenoid.

I had to figure the vice part out for myself after the damn thing nearly jumped off the table and scared the crap outta me

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Bit late now, but to just test the starter on its own, hook it up directly to a 12v battery. Positive lead to the terminal on the front, negative anywhere else on the casing.

The solenoid is just a heavy duty relay, there to take the load off the starter button.

Agreed, those motors do twitch a bit when you power them up ….

Reactions: rjbex
1 - 9 of 9 Posts