Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I purchased a 1975 CB200 (disc brake version). Whilst a runner it did require some attention which has turned into a full restoration; as they often do!

As part of the restoration it has been necessary to renew the left hand fork as one of the mounting lugs for the disc brake caliper arm was broken and a stripped thread in one of the others. I duly purchased a very good used left hand fork leg (which is straight as i checked before fitting). The right hand one is as originally fitted.

The problem has arisen in trying to refit the front wheel as the gap between the fork leg lugs at the bottom (see photograph) is narrower than the outside dimension of the front wheel i.e. over the speedometer drive and spacer bush on the disc side (121 mm approx). Does anyone know what the correct dimension is between the lugs, or is it a case of having to 'spread' the fork legs out to get the wheel in? Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Richard (UK)
CB200 forks.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Are you absolutely sure that the fork tube(s) is/are straight ?

If you slacken the fork yoke clamps and rotate the fork tube, does the gap at the bottom vary ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you absolutely sure that the fork tube(s) is/are straight ?

If you slacken the fork yoke clamps and rotate the fork tube, does the gap at the bottom vary ?
Richard.

Thanks for the suggestion. It just so happens that this morning I decided to drop the fork out and check the fork tube. At first sight nothing obvious but on rotating there appeared to be a variance. Took the bull by the horns and stripped the fork leg and then checked the tube with a straight edge; guess what, bent with an off-set of approximately 3.5 mm as can be seen on the attached photographs. Thankfully I have a spare fork leg with a straight tube.

Thanks again for posting your suggestion.

Richard

e

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts