Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll CB200 lovers

I've been taking a good look at the CB200 front disc hub, '74-ish vintage, and I've fallen in love with the minimalist structure & obviously lighter weight of this design. Very reminiscent of the single-disc only 5-bolt DOHC-4 CB750K/CB650Z front hub and hopefully also the dual-disc version of which found only on the Canadian Police only one year only "CB750P7-ii" front hub, which I've been scouring the market for.

So this is a 36-spoke front hub which I suppose is somewhat desirable for the 'featherweight' DOHC-4 750 build wherein I'd like to use the 40-spoke CB750P7-ii front hub with the 50% lighter dished one-piece 296mm discs from '81 CB1100RB (only!) now in replica form via Metalgear in Australia - A 36-spoke rim MIGHT only be negligibly less strong than the 40-spoke version of which, but a 10% lighter spoke-set can't be ignored for this 'featherweight' build concept

(((Which would be a DOHC-4 750 with custom wire wheels on alloy rims, and some CB900F upgrade parts left over from my "CB900K0 Bol Bomber" project - it's intended as a proper highway bike for my daughter, once she outgrows the "KZ440LOL" twin, which currently consists of a huge pile of parts that's only missing an engine or to rebuild an old '82 CB750F engine that's been on the back bench - But there are some fantastic upgrade parts already collected for this build, it's just that I'm trying to accomplish the whole thing in as lightweight a fashion as possible, and the (hopefully fruitful, someday) SEARCH - for the elusive "CB750P7-ii" front hub, and the dished one-piece 296mm front rotors from '81 CB1100RB (only) figure prominently in cutting down the front hub/brake package by somewhere around HALF the weight of the conventional 6-bolt SOHC-4 hub & 9-rivet discs as per CR750 etc.)))

So you see, it's all contingent on whether the CB200 front hub, from the cable-actuated disc-brake model of '74 through ... '76 or thereabouts? I'm curious to know what's under the obverse side COVER, the chromed-steel plate with the four screws - Is there enough MEAT under that plate, to drill the hub for a matching pattern of six threaded holes as per the BRAKE side of the hub? And does the 6-bolt pattern match the same functional diameter as the conventional SOHC-4 6-bolt dual-disc front hubs?

It's my thinking that, IF the hub were amenable to a dual-disc set-up with the 9-rivet 6-hole center carriers, then the outer ring could be rebuilt with a thinner skimmed replacement from Metalgear Australia, or at the very least the OEM rotors could be skimmed down and cross-drilled a fair bit so as to reduce mass - there's also a guy on eBay doing CAST-IRON replacement rings - Well the key thing is to have the dual 296mm set-up in as lightweight a package as is humanly possible - IF the "CB750P7-ii" front hub proves a difficult piece of "UNOBTAINIUM" to find! Seems the CB200 front hub is much more commonplace & affordable - if only because the calipers have proven so difficult to repair that CB200 owners are likely running a lot of DRUM front hubs, I'd hazard a guess? Far better than a hydraulic "up"-grade, imho.....

If anybody could please take a peek under the 4-screw chromed-steel hub cover? Maybe even slap a bare hub on the scale & gimme an accurate weight? I'd be eternally grateful.

-S.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I like the way this guy thinks.

There's always a way around the unobtanium, sometimes it's cheaper to tool up and make your own, sometimes there's a perfectly suitable solution hiding nearly in plain sight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts