Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. First post, so please take it easy on me

I took the CB200 for its first ride in 15 years. I've cleaned the tank/carbs, changed the oil, plugs and battery. Everything went ok, was running a bit lumpy, but got up to speed

I came home after 15 mins with me and the bike covered in a brown oily slime. Turns out it was coming from the top of the gaitors (gators??) on every bump (see photos) and they were both full to the brim. The bike had been stored outside for a couple of years before I got it.

Are the gaitors there just to protect the fork legs? or do they serve a purpose? The chrome isn't looking too good underneath

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Rusty water that was trapped inside the headlight ear, and the upper tube is rusty because Honda never chromed them all the way to the top back then as they were covered. The gaiters are there to protect the chromed area where the seal in the lower leg travels

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom. I thought it would be fork seals at first (the brown water was a bit oily). So I may get away with just draining it then???

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yes, but if it were mine and would be kept in a garage from now on, I'd be tempted to pull the tubes out and clean up everything, then light oil the tubes when you put them back. Otherwise, later on after all is dry and even more rusty, it might be a bear to get the stuff apart when it's time to do fork seals... and if you own it long enough, you will do fork seals

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I reckon that the fork seals HAVE gone, why else would the fluid be oily ?

Changing the seals is an easy job, the only tricky bit is removing the screw at the bottom of the fork, hidden under the axle bolt. Long allen socket and a rattle gun sorts that out. CL175K7 forks, same as CB200. Forks tubes need to come out in order to get the oil seal out, don't be tempted to try digging it out without disassembling the forks.

DSCF1859.jpg DSCF1861.jpg DSCF1863.jpg

Which leads me to one of my pet niggles, the MOT exemption for historic vehicles. Leaky fork seals are an instant MOT fail, but a historic vehicle escapes this check. Until the leaking oil gets into the brakes ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, it will be garaged from now on. They do need replacing, I'll add it to the growing list.

It is crazy how easily I got it legally back on the road. Its a good job I value my life. Just think of all them RD350LCs turning classic any time now, most weren't road legal back then

1 - 6 of 6 Posts