Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a set of CB200 forks that I thought I couldn't use for awhile...but now I've figure out I can...

BUT

I can't get them completely apart to remove the seals...

Any advice on how to get this piece off would be appreciated.

Photo attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
It takes a "strap" wrinch, it you can't get them off by hand.

You can clean them a bit with a piece of 35 mm film inserted between seal and tube. Many times a leak is not a bad seal, just gunk wedged inbetween seal and tube. You can clean them pretty darn well if you will fully disassemble them.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
I believe they "key" in like a bayonet lightbulb....slight rotation and pull off.....
I second the strap wrench, but a band clamp (radiator hose clamp) cushioned with a wound strip of old inner-tube might give enough leverage.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Always looking for the latest and greatest way to understand the Honda vintage twins, I checked here first to see how to remove the CB200 chrome front fork seal covers/gator attachment devices. Then, I went and looked closely at the covers and noticed two indentations below the weep hole. After cleaning them out, I noticed they weren't holes, but indentations that press through to the casing of the forks. So, in spite of the creative uses of a strap wrench or a band clamp, I decided to use the vintage guys secret helper PB BLASTER, followed by PB50 all purpose lubricant and cleaned every bit of debris from the edges and mating points of the chrome caps and the aluminum fork leg. After working the penetrant and lubricants into both forks, I went back to the first one with a flat blade screw driver and a small upholstery hammer and lightly tapped on opposite sides of the cap and removed the caps in a straight line.

Look at the photo of the trail I left behind which will also be my re-installation path (using a PVC pipe and rubber mallet) for the caps.

CB200ForkSealCaps.jpg

I can't imagine what a strap wrench or band strap would have left behind.

You could drill out the indentations... then what will you do to hold the caps in after you're done?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
That's how I did mine, small screwdriver and a hammer, just tapped them straight off, no damage done.

They went back on OK, as well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey Pitman! I know this is a very old post but cant find an answer anywhere... Once the gators are removed how in the heck did you get the dust seals out? Mine seem to be stuck and I dont want to mangle them up getting them out. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Pitman! I know this is a very old post but cant find an answer anywhere... Once the gators are removed how in the heck did you get the dust seals out? Mine seem to be stuck and I dont want to mangle them up getting them out. Thanks
Did you get anywhere with your forks? Sounds like yours and mine are harder to deal with. I've been trying the small screwdriver and hammer approach. I can see a tiny amount of movement on one leg but not the other and I can see signs I'm damaging the covers. I'm resorting to searching on eBay for replacement forks or replacement dust seals.

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
Couple of photos. Did these some years back now, but don't recall any difficulty in getting those chrome covers off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts