Honda Twins banner

CB200 Centrifugal oil filter index marks missing?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Simo 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

I am baffled, the Honda manual CB 200 on page 21 says: –

"2, Install the oil filter cap so that the tab aligns wilh the index mark on the filter rotor."

And has a photograph with callouts that appear to point nothing.
"Fig. 3-30 ---- (I) Index mark. (2) Tab"

The oil filter cap and the oil filter rotor on my bike have no such markings, furthermore I can see no reason why these two items would need to be aligned specifically.

1) Can anybody out there enlighten me, I will be eternally grateful.

2) Is the Clymer manual better than the Honda one?

3) Is the Clymer manual available in electronic form?

#2 ·
Sounds like a similar setup to a 350. The outer shell has 4 ears and the inner has tabs with slots in the middle. The slots fit into the ears to lock everything in place. Pictures would help to be sure I'm thinking right

#3 ·
If you look at the 1200 position on the cap and slinger basket, you'll see a very subtle mark on the basket. That is the alignment mark, line that up with the little tab on the cap (there are only two of them, in the picture they are in the 1200 and 1800 positions). These correspond to castings inside the cap and the slinger. On the inside surface of the cap, you notice how there are four impeller fins? Those need to align with and slot into the parallel grooves inside the oil slinger basket.

The Clymber is full of misinformation. The Honda FSM is your best source for reliable, correct information. Clymer is not available in electronic form unless someone has scanned it and made it available as such.

Best of luck, if you have any further questions, please ask :D

#4 · (Edited)
Crikey, Thanks guys, That was quick
My basket has 6 pairs of grooves two of which have extended lobes to take the tab washer.
Each of these pairs of grooves have a corresponding mark on the outside of the basket.
Am I right in thinking that aligning the broken tabs on my cover with any of these marks is satisfactory.

If I get this wrong will it stuff my engine up?

I have ordered a used Haynes manual which will arrive on Wednesday from eBay and hope that better than the Clymer then.
Auto part Metal
Auto part Hardware accessory
Auto part Wheel
Auto part Bearing Hardware accessory
!

#5 ·
"Crikey, Thanks guys, That was quick
My basket has 6 pairs of grooves two of which have extended lobes to take the tab washer.
Each of these pairs of grooves have a corresponding mark on the outside of the basket.
Am I right in thinking that aligning the broken tabs on my cover with any of these marks is satisfactory.

If I get this wrong will it stuff my engine up?

I have ordered a used Haynes manual which will arrive on Wednesday from eBay and hope that better than the Clymer then."

Yep, all those grooves are for is to make sure the impeller stays in place when the engine is spinning the slinger cup. As long as the fins on the impeller are notched into the grooves in the cup, you're fine.
I don't much care for the Haynes or the Clymer. Just make sure you compare everything the FSM. There is misinformation in the third party manuals. Good luck!

#8 ·
There are two concentric oil passages in the cover, the central one looks like a tube....
The other one is the slots in the spring-loaded sealing piece that presses against the filter's cover...
Oil in one and out the other and due to centripidal/centrifugal force, the metallic bits in the oil are thrown outwards and remain "stuck" to the inside of the filter body,
Where they remain until YOU clean them out......
Make sure the o-ring that seals the "impeller cap" is renewed or good......
You may phone if you have other questions on this.....************.....Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.