Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need advice. I got fed up with my Cb200 sounding like tin of nail was attatched to the wheel, so have taken the top off.

All looks to be within spec except the left (port) bigend has maybe half a mm of up and down slack. Sideways checked ok with a feeler gauge is to the book.

The book makes no mention of any tolerances in the up and down direction, so I'm guessing this may be the problem. This is the bearing furthest from the oil pump.

Question Is this small amount of slack likely to be the cause of my horrendous noise?

or should I be digging in further looking at the main bearings?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have been scouting around the internet and can find absolutely nothing on changing the bigend roller bearings.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
the best suggestion I can make is to find a complete replacement crankshaft assembly or a parts engine....
Disassembling/reassembling a pressed together crankshaft and getting it back together true is not an easy task, and requires specialized tools....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the best suggestion I can make is to find a complete replacement crankshaft assembly or a parts engine....
Disassembling/reassembling a pressed together crankshaft and getting it back together true is not an easy task, and requires specialized tools....
Thanks for that. I think I am coming to the same conclusion.
Seems they dont break very often or someone would have the kit and be fixing them.
If not here in the UK somewhere in the USA where there seems to be a whole lot of these bikes.
My worry is 'cos I've only 16k on the clock what broke it?
It seems there is no way to check that oil is circulating nicely apart from slackening a rocker box nut and looking for seepage?

Thanks again for the input

1 - 3 of 3 Posts