Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
1974 CB200
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought id start a log of the build for the CB200 ive just bought. As can be seen from the pictures its in pretty bad shape and has been sat for a while but looks to be mostly complete (less the tank)

My plan is a full rebuild (obviously 馃槀 ) and to turn it into a cafe racer style. Id ideally lijke to get it running before i strip it down, so i can make a definitive list of what needs replacing. Im planning on hooking up a temporary fuel tank, fitting a new coil and plugs and an oil change and seeing if it will fire. Is there anything else i should swap out before i try to start it?

Some pictures:

Registered
1974 CB200
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A question if someone would be so kind, a new coil is on the list, but all of the coils i see listed for a cb200 have 90mm mount spacing, whereas the mounts on my frame are 100mm apart.

Are all aftermarket replacement coils the same? Can i buy any 12v coil with twin leads with the correct spacing?

Thanks
Mike

Registered
1974 CB200
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Little bits of progress. New coil, points, condenser, plugs and plug caps fitted. Carbs have been removed and in the process of cleaning them up whilst waiting for my rebuild kits to arrive.

Also sourced a tank from a CB175 in really nice condition. Just one small dent as in the picture but absolutely no rust. I just need to source a rear mount for it.

Registered
1974 CB200
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike didnt come with a logbook which im in the process of applying for. I've had a look on various websites RE: frame & engine numbers but wasnt really clear.

Could anyone confirm from the numbers if the bike is a '74

Frame:CB200-1061094
Engine:CB200E - 1062921

Thanks
Mike

Banned
Carbs have been removed and in the process of cleaning them up whilst waiting for my rebuild kits to arrive
The brass ware in aftermarket rebuild kits is notorious for not being up to OEM spec, and causes more problems than it solves. Better to clean the existing jets, just use new gaskets.

CB175 rear tank mounts were unavailable last time I looked, but a CB350 mount can be modified to fit, cut with a Stanley knife.

Registered
The brass ware in aftermarket rebuild kits is notorious for not being up to OEM spec, and causes more problems than it solves. Better to clean the existing jets, just use new gaskets.

CB175 rear tank mounts were unavailable last time I looked, but a CB350 mount can be modified to fit, cut with a Stanley knife.
I think it depends on where you get the kits from. I bought a carb kit (w/ floats) from 4into1 about three years ago for my cb200 and this year was the first time I had an issue with a stuck float, which was a simple fix. But I've always kept my fuel system clean using high octane gas mixed with a little seafoam and MMO

Registered
1974 CB200
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys, i did end up rebuilding the carbs with a set of keyster kits. It all seemed to go well. I havent had much time to work on the bike up untill today but did finally get it running. :D

Since then i've stripped most parts from the frame to allow me to start modifying the frame. Some pictures of how it sits now:

Attachments

Registered
1974 CB200
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The new front end i ordered arrived today so i spent and hour or so mocking it up to see what modifications the frame will need. The stem is around 30mm longer than the Cb200 item so i will machine up 2 bearing cups to extend the stem the required amount.

Ignore disk position as it was thrown together just go get positioning for the stem and bearings.

Registered
1974 CB200
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Modifications started on the frame today. Removed all of the frame i didnt want to use.

New rear hoop mocked up. I will be removing the 2 rear tubes aswell, as they end up around 1/2" too short to meet the rear hoop. So i will be cutting them off just above the rear footpeg tubes and replacing them with new steel.

Registered
1974 CB200
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like I said it's not to everyone's taste which is why I started with such a poor example.

Banned
It's your bike and your choice.

I just think that so many of these 'cafe racers', especially the small capacity ones, end up being so unpleasant and embarrassing to ride that they just end up as yard art. Fun to build, less so to ride. A proper cafe racer should be capable of at least doing the 'ton', an adult rider on a 200 with clip ons and rearsets is just going to look ridiculous at 65 flat out. IMHO, of course.

Registered
I disagree, I think he did the right thing seeing as how it was already roached, anything that is in terrible shape like that makes a perfect doner for a custom build. That being said, I have a 175 scrambler with busted side covers and small dents on fender and gas tank that I would never dream of cutting up for a custom, but that's because I have a love for Hondas smaller twins

Banned
I agree that the donor bike was probably beyond salvation, and that doing a custom build on it will be an enjoyable project. Just that the finished product will not be very nice to ride, and also make the rider of a bit of a laughing stock, flat on the tank at 65mph, whilst deafening the neighbour hood with its aftermarket exhaust system.

Registered
1974 CB200
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree that the donor bike was probably beyond salvation, and that doing a custom build on it will be an enjoyable project. Just that the finished product will not be very nice to ride, and also make the rider of a bit of a laughing stock, flat on the tank at 65mph, whilst deafening the neighbour hood with its aftermarket exhaust system.
Im intrigued to know why it wont be very nice to ride?

It was never my goal to build a bike with a big top speed, if it was i'd have started with something more powerful. So hitting 65mph or not isn't a massive concern.

It wont have a standard exhaust on, but as i'm fabricating it myself from scratch. There is nothing to say it has to be deafeningly loud. It definitely wont be.

Banned
Why won't it be nice to ride ?

Well, for a start it's going to be uncomfortable if you go the clip ons, rearsets and race seat route. At higher speeds, the windblast takes some of the weight off your wrists, not an option with a 200.

And then there's the issue of getting the engine to run nicely. Hard enough with stock air filters, carb settings and exhaust, infinitely more difficult with pod filters, aftermarket carb rebuild kits and home made exhaust systems. Which will be loud unless so heavily baffled that they stifle the engine, hard to do better than Honda did in the first place.

Personally, for cruising around town and bimbling down the back lanes at 30-50mphs, I'd go for higher bars, for better control and visibility, stock foot controls, and keep the mechanical bits as stock as possible. 'Brat' style maybe, for want of a better word. It's why I prefer riding my CL175 to my CB175.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts