Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having completely restored a K6 and fully reported on here, I sold it a few moments after finishing it.
Always regretted it, so have bought and started another, a 1973 K6, interfered with a mess and all a bit rough, but it will be nice to get it back together.

Won't bore you all with the blow-by-blow account, but have just 1/2 built the engine ( few horrors inside), but it should be back together soon and ready to gointo the painted frame.

On my last K6 I really struggled to get the painted engine into the frame unscathed.

Is there a special 'approach' to this that the factory must have used?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Only just spotted this thread, nice to see you back again !

Looking forward to seeing how this resto progresses.

Richard

Reactions: 12ozPBR

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello again Richard!
After zero response from my first post, thought I would log the restoration elsewhere, a Porsche forum no less where the response has been mega.
But, just on hols d thought I would pop-in so to speak, and spotted your name, feel more at home on HT now!
The restoration is now racing along though I'm waiting for the one man band chromer to meet his promises before the forks etc cam go on, lots of other detailed work done and waiting.
I'll do a catch up thread when home.
This one will be a user Bike not an attempt at a show stopper, so more relaxed approach to originality but will look stock from 3 feet away.
Bike has been messed with and many critical parts missing which has been expensive and consuming to track down but getting there.
My gold one was totally complete and untouched and all the better for it as a restoration task.
Trust you still have your cb200? I nearly bought one intesd of this 175 but thought the parts would be even harder to find, so chickened out.

I loved doing my gold 175, and after my two French Follies another Honda twin is bliss.
The French Terrot went back to the south of France after a torrid time sorting the engine which turned out to be a school boy error on my part....

Hondas are still expensive to do and parts noticeably harder to find.
Regards, Graham.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first one was better but was really corroded so much harder work.
It came off eBay and I thought it would be better than it was in the flesh, but it had some good parts too, missing some important bits, but it was cheap!
I sold my gold one a few days after finishing it, a very big mistake, hence doing another but in the metallic blue.
Will post the progress soon, it is about 1/2 done.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a resume of the progress so far on my CB175, a K6 from 1972, English spec bike.
The bike came to me off ebay, and had new DS exhausts and fresh wheels, spokes and tyres, a box of loose parts and a big hole in the base of the original tank. The previous owner had died half way through a rebuild and the whole bike was part-finished-disassembled-missing. Still. I wanted a time consuming project!

The task was simple, strip it all down and start again.
Much of the bike was loose, many bolts hand tight and much covered in a thick invulnerable black pitch paint. The engine had been 're-built' but new stock pistons were in the box of parts so confusing!

Engine out and all the bike down to the bar frame, work began about 2 months ago.in the dark depths of Lock-down due to CV19.

The engine had been apart alright but quite a mess, new pistons, no new gaskets and grinding paste still on the valves...you get the picture.
There had been a failure in the one side of the head but the cylinder block was good.
All apart, cleaned and another head and detailed cleaning and re-assembly did the trick. Oddly, the bike had a CD cam and no tacho drive (!), so CB parts sourced and the engine came together.
Box was good, clutch still on factory spec, all cases cleaned and painted. Didn't take too long at all!

So, that was the easy bit done. Added a new timing chain and found a fresh gasket set from my first CB re-build, so overall cost was quite low.

That was to change when the chassis and bodywork came on the table....
Next time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts