Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

When I rev my bike, I often get a puff of white smoke from the left exhaust and there are drops of water from the end of the muffler,even after a good long run.The spark plug is somewhat rich,but not wet.my question is,does petrol have water in its make up which will show as white smoke if not burnt fully?

Thanks Graham

CB175K3

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
At the considerable risk of seeming to be a smart arse:

Petrol, diesel fuel and fuel oil are hydrocarbons. Their molecules are made of carbon and hydrogen atoms. When these fuels burn, the carbon and hydrogen atoms combine with oxygen atoms to produce carbon dioxide and water vapour.
Above is in a perfect world, with no contaminants in the fuel or atmosphere. Incomplete combustion produces carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides etc etc.

So there is always water vapour present in the exhaust gases. Normally only visible when the engine and exhaust system are cold, once up to temperature the steam normally becomes invisible. Maybe you are running a bit rich, pipes not heating up enough ?

EDIT The DS pattern pipes don't have the drain holes that are present in the OEM Honda pipes.

Reactions: ancientdad and J-T

·
Registered
582 Posts
What does it smell like? What does it taste like ;)

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Or they've chosen a new Pope ...

Reactions: Alex jb
1 - 7 of 7 Posts