Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

First time posting here (although I've consulted the site many times scavenging for info).
I have a 1971 CB175. Have got it up and running after a long time off the road...but am wondering about the heat generated. After a 30 minute ride, the engine is hot; to the point that the contact breaker cover is too hot to touch. Is this normal? Or should I be worried about the top end overheating?

many thanks in advance

Keith

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's pretty normal to not be able to touch covers on the engine once it's been run. Think of it like your car - back when they had a distributor and plug wires running to it, the engine's heat under the hood would make the distributor cap too hot to touch right away when you shut off the engine after normal driving. This is the same, and additionally it's air cooled so as soon as you stop the cooling air flow stops too - and the internal heat built up and escaping outward from the engine immediately makes everything on the outside closer to the same temperature as the inside. this is why you don't want to idle for long periods of time with air cooled bikes either. You should post a in introduction in the Members Introduction area as well so we can get to know you and your bike(s)... and pictures are good too :D

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Many thanks Tom...that's reassuring! My first bike this old and this 'revvy' so am feeling my way through it :)
Yep, the more "revvy" they are, the better... and think of the heat another way as well - the points cover is attached directly to the cam bearing cap on the cylinder head. Try touching the cylinder head of your car's 4 cylinder, V-6 or V-8... even though water cooled, you aren't going to touch them without getting burned either! Now about those pictures... as we say here - no pics, didn't happen :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you....on the day I bought it, I was meant to be viewing/buying a CL450. But the candy gold of this bike clouded my judgement and changed my mind!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts