Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being an impatient chap, I've ordered a pair of TEC shock absorbers for my CB175.

https://shop.tecbikeparts.com/products/cb250k-cb350k-cj250-cj350j-cb360-shocks

I contacted the company, and they told me that their closest match was these CB250 shocks, and advised me that the swingarm bush would need to be changed to M10, from the standard M8. I had already noted that these are 320mm shocks, my 175 has 310mm, but I can't see that an extra 1cm in height / length is likely to make much odds.

( Theoretically speed up the steering, steeper head angle etc etc, on a 175 ? :ugeek::ugeek:)

So, that swingarm bush.

Just run a 10mm drill through it, bush OD is just over 12mm, so just about enough material there ?

Use a longer M8 bolt with M8 > M10 collars in the shock eye, with an M8 nyloc on the far end ? Sprocket clearance issue ?

Or would CB250/350 bushes fit the 175 swingarm ?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got the TEC shock absorbers fitted yesterday.

A few mods needed to make them fit. The top mounting rubbers needed to be changed, as the centre hole was too large. Luckily, these rubbers are a direct swap with the rubbers on the original shocks.

New shocks didn't come with bottom mounting bolts. M10 x 1.25 bolts are required, 35mm in length being closest to stock 32 mm long.

The original bolts are M8, so the eye in the swing arm bush is too small to take the M10 bolt. I removed these using a 10mm drill bit, which worked well, although not as expected. As soon as the drill started to bite, this heated the metal eye in the centre of the bush which then pushed straight out.

I got hold of some stainless steel spacers which have an M10 clearance internal diameter, and 12mm outer diameter. I cut these to length, to sit nicely in the bottom clevis. These spacers were a nice push fit into the centre of the original rubber bush. I've kept the original M8 eyes, if I ever want to revert to stock shocks.

Simple matter of bolting everything up after that. The extra 10mm in length doesn't seem to matter much, centre stand still works, rear tyre just touches the floor now but can still be turned by had for chain oiling etc. New shocks look pretty original, apart from not having the black centres. Chain guard clearance is same as original, top shrouds identical to original. Now for the road test ….

20180821_155019.jpg

20180821_155030.jpg

Original, for comparison.

shock.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ride report in my project log.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts