Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Beautiful!........ Pipes indicate she is running lean, as double-wall pipe has to get really hot to yellow......
Just thought to mention so you can adjust before it progresses much further.......

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
Pipes indicate she is running lean, as double-wall pipe has to get really hot to yellow......
Not wishing to be a smart alec, but those appear to be David Silvers pattern down pipes, ( angular bends ), which are only single skinned.

Bike looks great, BTW.

PS. You've left the petrol turned on ….

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Nice job. Straw-colored pipes are a nice touch, means the machine is actually being ridden, instead of just being looked at.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All
Thanks for all the nice comments
Richard you are correct, they are single walled David Silver pipes
Did you notice the new genuine original grips which I have changed following your comments a while ago !!
I only stopped to take the photos and then a quick ride !!

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Not wishing to be a smart alec, but those appear to be David Silvers pattern down pipes, ( angular bends ), which are only single skinned.

Bike looks great, BTW.

PS. You've left the petrol turned on ….
Richard, Good eyes as to the pipes and petcock....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Super nice! Attention to detail is wonderful. Just remember it only has to be perfect to you, not everyone else.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Really excellent job on the restoration and it does look showroom fresh for sure!

Amazing how these small displacement bikes were our everyday machines back in the day and we never gave it a second thought about the power, CC's, or if we could ride them timbuctoo and back. At least that was my take on them back in the late 60's and early 70's.

·
Administrator
13,086 Posts
^^^agree completely - I rode my SL175K0 all over Tampa and to both school and work after, had it for about a year before moving up to an SL350K1. It was totally reliable, got great gas mileage and was fast enough to ride it on the interstate locally.

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
22,000 miles in 18 months on my first CB175, riding 10 miles to work and back again each day, then out again most evenings and weekends, plus 30 miles to college twice a week in term time. Totally reliable, only repairs needed after my several crashes on it. ( No other vehicles involved :-? )

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
In this months Motor Cycle Mechanics mag, a CB175 K6 resto from a UK owner.

Just wondering if he is on here, under an alias ? Paging Tom Garland ?

Nice job, but he did cheat a bit, farmed a lot of work out to the professionals. And this is another paint job where the black panel / white stripe job on the tank just doesn't look quite right to me, tapers to a point at the seat end, a bit like the one on the bike that started this thread. Done by a professional painter, you'd think they would get this right.

His bike, pic taken from magazine via my phone camera

20190519_100521.jpg

For comparison, an original paint job:

20180514_144951.jpg 20180514_145025.jpg

See how the black stripe doesn't taper to a point at the seat end ?

Darn it, I'm beginning to sound like a rivet counter here ….:-?

·
Administrator
13,086 Posts
Darn it, I'm beginning to sound like a rivet counter here ….:-?
Not to me... after growing up with a professional body and paint guy, I completely understand what you see - and the bottom of the panel isn't parallel to the Honda emblem either, which is the first thing that jumps out at me. I agree, the painter missed the mark... but perhaps he didn't have an original to make a template of, which is often what my father did to be sure it was accurate

IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0582.JPG

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Hi Richard, I am curious why you pointed out that the fuel was on. Should that be turned off when it is not being ridden? Thanks.
Only if you don't wish to have to rebuild the engine after the camshaft catastrophically fails from being lubed by fuel-thinned oil....

Here is the type of damage one might get running fuel-thinned oil : That whole grooved area between the small diameter shaft the advance seats on and the flange just outboard of the cam lobes should be a smooth cylinder....

You SHOULD turn off the petcock and the ignition key any time the engine is not running.........

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi All
Bragging a bit here but I have just got back from the Summer Classic Bike Show at the South of England Showground
at Ardingly and came away with a first prize for my restored CB175 K6 1973
I have never won anything before so I am very pleased after getting many nice comments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, very nice job. I have a Cb200 which I am thinking of investing in the same David Silver exhausts, but could you please tell me, are they noisy or pretty kind of factory quiet? I currently have Chinese shorts on and they are loud! 3

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
The DS silencers are slightly louder than stock, but MUCH quieter than the cans in your picture.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts