Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could have sworn I read somewhere that CB200 forks could be used on a CB175, is this correct? If so, do I have to switch to the CB200 rim, hub and brake or would I be fine using the CB175 disc brake?

One more question, how do you remove the lower fork cover without destroying it the one that covers the dust seal)? Thanks a lot guys!

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
OKAY!... You have the 175 guy confused....
Yes, you can use 200 forks, but you have to use 200 trees as well.
The 175 front wheel can be fitted. (You may have to use the 200 spacers and axle)
If you are running the CB 200 fork assembly, either of the 200 wheels (disc or drum) will work....(I should think that would be obvious)
The 175's ALL came with drum brakes, there are no 175 discs... At least on US models.

As for the chrome cover, use a strap wrench and wobble/rotate slightly back and forth...... It is usually galvanic corrosion wedging them, so some penetrant may help... I have one 175 fork leg that absolutely refuses to release this cover, so I appreciate your dilemma....
Steve

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
charlesskelter said:
I could have sworn I read somewhere that CB200 forks could be used on a CB175, is this correct? If so, do I have to switch to the CB200 rim, hub and brake or would I be fine using the CB175 disc brake?

One more question, how do you remove the lower fork cover without destroying it the one that covers the dust seal)? Thanks a lot guys!
I didn't know 175's ever had a disk brake???

Both are the same size, and very similar.
The 200 forks should slip right in to the 175 clamps/stem, but I don't know about the wheel/brake/fender setup.
Taken as an entire front end change (forks/wheel/brake/fender), it would be a 15-minute bolt-up....

The lower fork cover (chrome, right?) twists a bit then pulls off (though not easily sometimes).

Edit - I'm talking about Later 175's, not slopers or early ones....

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
The 200 forks are "pinch bolt" top tree type, the 175's are "top bolt" type.... You should use the trees that were originally with the forks you use.....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
CB/CL175 K6/7 used the same stem as CB200.
CB200 and XL175 have same top clamp, but not CB175.

It would still work as a total transplant though........and the mechanical disk is pretty cool, actually.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
66Sprint said:
You should use the trees that were originally with the forks you use.....
I'll stand by that, there are several other swapping mods that work, but that is the simplest/easiest...
:D :D :D Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 175 disc brake was a typo, my mistake. They all came with drum, and I'd like to keep the drum. I was hoping it would be a simple bolt in replacement, and I could use the stock 175 front end otherwise. I believe the local guy with the 200 already sold all the front brake hardware.

Maybe I should double check and see if I can't get by with the forks I have if the extremely rust pitted areas won't contact the seal.

Thanks for the tips on removing the cover, hopefully I can salvage the other one.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
charlesskelter said:
Maybe I should double check and see if I can't get by with the forks I have if the extremely rust pitted areas won't contact the seal.
The ones in this pic look bad, but are fine...(just for comparison with yours...)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the pictures, I will hopefully be able to get to work on getting the surface rust off and finding out exactly how far the pitting goes, and I'll definately be using your picture as a reference.

·
Registered
78 Posts
CB/CL175 K6/7 used the same stem as CB200.
CB200 and XL175 have same top clamp, but not CB175.

It would still work as a total transplant though........and the mechanical disk is pretty cool, actually.
I realize this thread is old, but I have been researching this and believe the info above is not complete.
The CB200 (74/75), CB175 K7 (though not the K6) and the XL185 all have the same top clamp (bridge):
BRIDGE, FORK TOP
53230-453-305

The differnce for the CB175 K6 is that it has the bolt in fork stanchions whereas the K7 uses pinch bolts.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
And of course the fork bottoms (sliders) are different on the disk and drum braked bikes, mount for caliper or drum brake torque arm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts