Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In line with the 'rivet counting' theme, this part, the chrome washer sitting between the top yoke and the rubber cushion that buffers the fork ear.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb175k4-super-sport-1970-usa_model420/cap-fork-upcover_51623235670/#.W6UJEfZFw2w

When I got my K4, this part was missing, and I assumed that a previous owner had taken it off and lost it, during a fork rebuild. I was lucky enough to find a replacement pair on Ebay.

Here's a couple of before and after photos.

forktop2.jpg forktops.jpg

I assumed that this was a vital part of the front suspension, which is why I replaced them. However, just browsing through CB175 photos out there generally, I notice that a lot of bikes don't seem to have this part fitted. Was it a market specific option, or have a lot of folks just lost this part over the years ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
In line with the 'rivet counting' theme, this part, the chrome washer sitting between the top yoke and the rubber cushion that buffers the fork ear.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb175k4-super-sport-1970-usa_model420/cap-fork-upcover_51623235670/#.W6UJEfZFw2w

When I got my K4, this part was missing, and I assumed that a previous owner had taken it off and lost it, during a fork rebuild. I was lucky enough to find a replacement pair on Ebay.

Here's a couple of before and after photos.

View attachment 265142 View attachment 265144

I assumed that this was a vital part of the front suspension, which is why I replaced them. However, just browsing through CB175 photos out there generally, I notice that a lot of bikes don't seem to have this part fitted. Was it a market specific option, or have a lot of folks just lost this part over the years ?
This is really cool to see because I have never seen those rings on any of the 175s I have looked at. I'd guess that you are right about it being a market specific thing. Definitely cool and I love the "rivet counting" approach, it's a dream of mine to redo my bikes in such a meticulous way.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no rivet counter, my pair of 175s are far from factory standards. :p

I've strained my eyes staring at a scanned photo of the K6 that I owned back in the day, and I can't see the chrome rings on that one. Maybe it is just a K4 thing ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm no rivet counter, my pair of 175s are far from factory standards. :p

I've strained my eyes staring at a scanned photo of the K6 that I owned back in the day, and I can't see the chrome rings on that one. Maybe it is just a K4 thing ?
I wouldn't even be sure it's a K4 thing, my K4 (I can tell you that front end was never apart prior to my ownership) and all of the other K4s I've seen online don't have the rings. Even the Honda brochures from '70 don't show the 175s with the rings. I'm gonna check out some jap domestic brochures and see if maybe they came on bikes for the home market? Your 175s both look like really nice bikes.

*edit here, I just did a little searching and it looks to me like those rings came on all of the '69 K3 175s, so my guess is that some of the early K4s had them. My K4 is one of the last (7/70 production) before the K5s rolled out so I guess they had changed that mid year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts