Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can this be used on an otherwise stock CB175 ignition system (points)?

http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2093

(Used with twin cylinder bikes fitted with one dual output coil) 3 ohm mini black coil. Smaller and lighter than the DC1-1 coils, these are ideal for drag racing applications. Fatter spark means smoother running and less chance of fouling a plug. See below for plug wires.

Check the resistance of the coils you are replacing to ensure a correct match. For some Kawasaki bikes with a ballast resistor in the circuit, the 3 ohm coil is the best choice - just remove the ballast resistor from the circuit. If you have questions if these are correct, please call us or Dynatek at 1-800-928-3962

Never select a coil with a lower resistance than your ignition system - this will cause the coils to overheat and burn out... It is OK to select coils with a slightly higher resistance. For example 3.0 ohm coils with a 1.5 ohm CDI ignition. DO not select this coil for use with the Dyna-S or Dyna III ignitions.

Does the condenser in the stock system need to be removed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
There seems to be something wrong with the link...
(Can you please re-post)

Thanks.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yes, that dual output coil is fine, but you need to keep the condenser unless running an electronic ignition system that specifies its removal.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
66Sprint said:
Yes, that dual output coil is fine, but you need to keep the condenser unless running an electronic ignition system that specifies its removal.....
I hheard somewhere that a lower resistance coil will be a bit harder on the charging system.
Is there any truth to this?

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the 3 ohm coil kit shown above and wanted to make sure.
(I am planning on keeping condensor)

thanks!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The ignition system is essentially separate from the charging system....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts