1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
228 Posts
Unless it's really cheap I'm not sure I'd risk it without reading reviews by actual buyers. I've heard some say Chinese carbs run leaner adn that's definitely not good. I've also heard there's not always a way to reliably re-jet them. I'd definitely try to get infor from an actual buyer before I went that way.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I doubt very much if the "Chinese" slides will fit in the OEM carbs but you try the carbs whole. My advice would be to find original slides, needles and springs and go from there. Fuelling, air filtering and exhaust can be fiddly on these little machines and it seems the more you go away from stock parts the more trouble people have. Parts on ebay come up reasonably frequently if you don't want pay cmsnl prices.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought they would probably be pretty useless to be honest but thought I would ask just encase someone had good results with them.
I will stick to eBay then and keep my fingers crossed something comes up soon.
Do any other Honda's use the same carbs as the cb175 ?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I thought they would probably be pretty useless to be honest but thought I would ask just encase someone had good results with them.
I will stick to eBay then and keep my fingers crossed something comes up soon.
Do any other Honda's use the same carbs as the cb175 ?
Pretty sure the 175 carbs are unique to that bike only. :( Not to say the 18mm or 22mm carbs from a 160 or 200 could be jetted to work, I think only the 175 has dual 20mm carbs.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have slides and springs from a ca160 . I dont know if they will fit your carbs but one of the members can tell use they will work you can have them for shipping. Needles should come in a rebuild kits.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
CB200 slides are physically interchangeable with the CB175 items. CB200 has 20mm carbs ( at least in the UK, the 18mm is an urban myth, IMHO ). Needle profiles will probably differ, as may the cutaways, but I expect that the bike would run OK, might need to fiddle with the needle height.

Note that left and right slides are different, being mirror images of each other, and that some vendors confuse the part numbers. For that reason, I have two brand new spare slides from one side ( will need to check which side ), and you are welcome to one of these, along with a pair of pattern needles from a Keyster kit. Slides come complete with springs.

I will go up into the loft in a while and look out these parts and part numbers. You'll probably have to get the other slide from the US.

(EDIT. I actually think there's a good chance that those Chinese carbs ARE an exact copy of the Keihins. Biggest obvious problem is that they are both right hand carbs, check out position of fuel inlets )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thank you for the quick responses I wasn't expecting that.

Bill h, I don't know if they would fit or not do will have to see if anyone on here could advise.

Richard pitman, thank you for the information very useful, I would be very interested in your spare slide. Just let me know what you find.

Thank you ?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
OK, loft duly investigated.

Here's the bits in question, just pm me your postal address and I'll bag 'em up and send them.

carb_bits.jpg

It's a left hand slide ( I actually ended up with three of these before I got the right hand one that I needed ), part number 16022-304-004. You'll need to find a right hand one, part number 16027-304-004. Easily confused, one digit different. Also a spare pair of Keihin needles, can't remember if these are CL175 or CB200, but they should work.

These part numbers also work for the CB125 twin, in fact that is what one of my three identical left hand slides came from.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I am not a "purest" by any stretch of the inaginatin, factory parts are the best IMO. However, there are times you have to do what you have to do in order to progress with a build. If it means using a carb NOT EXACLY designed for that motor, than so be it... I ran my triumph 650 for a year with the smaller Amal carbs made for the 500.. idled like crap (due to blocked passage) but jetted right and ran like a scalded dog!!! Well the motor cutting out at idle, and a few traffic lights got old.. the price of new Amals was over $400 for a pair.. I did some reading, spoke to a lot of other Triumph guys and JRC/PKW (origional 2 stroke) carbs became a "repalcement" for the high priced new or worn out origional Amals. $175 for the pair $4 for each jet..(they were jetted for a tiger-single carb)..bolted up, cables set, choked pulled.. second kick.. idled .. with slight adjustment smooth as glass..
Now several years later I have discovered (the hard way) one of the float needles was sticking closed, a few taps on the bowl and it was fine.. AFTER I figured out what was going on..
Rode on these carbs for years without issue.. now that I saved some funds, I did get new Premier Amals, they still have to be jetted proper .. but in the meantime, get it running, dialed in, enjoy it.. and keep your eyes open for "correct" carbs..if you want...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I promise I will do a build thread shortly I have plenty of pictures of where I'm up to now
From what I read, if you went with CB200 carbs you'd be seriously cutting into your power, as the CB200 was using smaller carbs and not as good a performer as the smaller 175 bike. It used 18mm carbs where the 175 had 20mm carbs. 160s had 22mm carbs. Either way you might need now mounting rubber? I can't paste from that site but it goes into the differences in detail.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dang, the more I read about CB175s the more I like. Seems like as far as the smallest of the Honda 4 strokes of that era there was some real bang for the buck as far as hp vs displacement and rideability. I once had a '77 KZ200 Thumper, and I just loved it. It did 80 if ya pushed it, would get knocked down just under 70 on big hiils, but man did that tiny little thumper produce! Not exactly comfortable on the freeway, but capable. From what I've read just looking into this, the CB175 seems to be the sweet spot as far as small size but lot's of punch. I really have a fondness for tiny machines that can!

Actually though in reviewing all the small ones, a 70s CB250T looks like the sweet spot. 30 HP out of a small bike. Definitely when I can will be on the hunt for one.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
From what I read, if you went with CB200 carbs you'd be seriously cutting into your power, as the CB200 was using smaller carbs and not as good a performer as the smaller 175 bike. It used 18mm carbs where the 175 had 20mm carbs. 160s had 22mm carbs. Either way you might need now mounting rubber? I can't paste from that site but it goes into the differences in detail.
Nope, that's what I meant about an urban myth. The CB200 carbs mount onto the CB175 manifolds, and vice versa, carb bodies are identical. I don't know where this 18mm choke size business came from, even the Honda brochures from that time state the CB200 had 20mm carbs. I have both sets of carbs, and I can't see a difference in the choke sizes. Jetting is different of course.

Back in the day, I rode and thrashed both CB175 and CB200, and there was no noticeable difference in top speed or acceleration. Different engine characteristics, 175 a screamer compared with the torquier and lower revving 200.

cb200 carbs.JPG cb200test1.JPG cb200test2.JPG

EDIT Regarding the CB250. I traded my CB175 in against a CB250G5. I hated it. Too heavy, much worse fuel consumption, and it really wasn't much quicker than the 175. Mind you, the G5 was only rated at 27ps. I rode a friends earlier Cb250 with the 30 bhp engine, and that seemed much faster. Sounded better too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Im running the cheap Chinese carbs on my 71 CL175 that I just bought. The guy I bought the bike from said they work just fine. Right now the bike is apart while I diagnose an electrical gremlin. As soon as I get the bike running I will report back. I did remove the carbs for cleaning and inspection and like someone said they are identical. Tuning the left carb will be very interesting from the right side of the bike.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Im running the cheap Chinese carbs on my 71 CL175 that I just bought. The guy I bought the bike from said they work just fine. Right now the bike is apart while I diagnose an electrical gremlin. As soon as I get the bike running I will report back. I did remove the carbs for cleaning and inspection and like someone said they are identical. Tuning the left carb will be very interesting from the right side of the bike.
That's been my experience too, at least with other Chinese replacements parts for Honda. Everything I have bought has been cheap and has worked. I only said what I said about Chinese carbs running lean based on a YouTube video I watched where an eBay seller sold a guy cheap Chinese when they'd advertized original. They claimed it was a mistake but he ended up with both carbs to keep. He said the only differences was a smaller main jet and slightly differeing jet, with no numbering at all on the jets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts