Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy

I've rebuilt the top end, sorted carbys and other stuff, the bike now runs pretty good. I'm now concerned that I'm lacking oil pressure. I tried what the manual says and loosened the rear left head bolt (while running) but no oil leaked out. I've also looked into the head / cam shaft and tappets while running but didn't see any oil getting up there. Anyone got any advice before i spend up and replace oil plunger and housing etc to regain oil pressure?

Apologies as im sure this topic is already covered but couldnt find when i searched.

Cheers

James

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
What happens if you loosen the right rear head nut ?

Oil should come out there, same as left rear.

Edit - I'm making the assumption that sloper engine is same as vertical 175 for oil ways ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to those who replied, bit of a delayed response on this one.. I've been waiting on the tool in the post to take the oil rotor off, got it off along with oil pump and friends over the weekend. The gasket looked pretty shot so ill replace that, the oil pump plunger feels pretty tight and is within spec so that a win, strainer wasn't blocked and is intact. I did find that the top check valve (going to the motor) had a metal shaving wrapped over the ball valve seat keeping it slightly open at all times?? Hopefully that was why no oil was getting to the top end?

Can i please get your opinion on the following:

The check valve at the base (picking up the oil) is barely sprung (or under any pressure at all) but does seal on the plunder down stroke so I'm assuming this is OK or do i need to replace the spring to ensure a good seal?

The top check valve (sending oil to the motor) is under way more pressure when I hand pump the plunger or try blow it open it wont open and send air out the exit hole, but I'm also assuming under operating conditions and full of oil the plunger will be going overtime supplying way more pressure to open the check valve?

Thanks in advance.

James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts