Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CB160 with Keihin PE22's, pod filters and CL160 straight pipes (no silencer). Any chance anyone could suggest a range of jets to try? I'll be doing some testing soon and don't want to over order main jets if I can help it. Anyone have a similar set up they could share?

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have a 72 cl175. Custom exhaust and uni filter. I am at 6600 altitude. #40 idle jet #98 main. Needle is set 2nd from the top.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Columbo - that's helpful. I forgot to include altitude...I'm at 800ft. Judging by your 98 main, I think my 104 is probably pretty close.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a '65 CB160, OEMSTD carbs running 95-38-3 (elevation 300'), but my plugs are fouling. Original Honda spec was 92-38-3, if that helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Scooter2
Thx u 4 contributing to the discussion.
Would u do an experiment? Lower your needle a notch. I saw the most profound changes in drivability with a single notch. Ten minute operation. I ve found regardless of jetting, my bikes rides optimum on notch 4(1 from top). Just my experience so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Scooter2
Thx u 4 contributing to the discussion.
Would u do an experiment? Lower your needle a notch. I saw the most profound changes in drivability with a single notch. Ten minute operation. I ve found regardless of jetting, my bikes rides optimum on notch 4(1 from top). Just my experience so far.
Thank you Columbo. I am going to try that. I didn't want to hijack the discussion, but I do have a dilemma, my bike seems to only run with a too rich mix for the plugs (foul out in 30 mins.). Maybe dropping the needle will do the trick!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you Columbo. I am going to try that. I didn't want to hijack the discussion, but I do have a dilemma, my bike seems to only run with a too rich mix for the plugs (foul out in 30 mins.). Maybe dropping the needle will do the trick!
I wanted to report back on Columbo's suggestion. I put the needles on notch 4. The bike started cold on first kick (with choke). Sounded great, but I couldn't take it off of choke even after 15 mins. I kept it going with the throttle for a while and then let it stop. It seems to want the rich mix (which...fouls the plugs). Repeated that process a few times with same result. I'm not sure where to go from here. I can use higher jets (currently 95/38)... Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey scooter2
Fiddle with the idle mixture screw and set ur idle up, if it was wanting the choke, then you ll be making the idle mixture richer.. That is step 1. Once it idles and is warmed up. Then crack the throttle and see how she repsonds. Lets not even talk about anything beyond half throttle. Set up the idle and see how the throttle response is off idle.
By the way, your air filter is good right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey scooter2
Fiddle with the idle mixture screw and set ur idle up, if it was wanting the choke, then you ll be making the idle mixture richer.. That is step 1. Once it idles and is warmed up. Then crack the throttle and see how she repsonds. Lets not even talk about anything beyond half throttle. Set up the idle and see how the throttle response is off idle.
By the way, your air filter is good right?
Plugs were wet black after the 20 mins I had it running. Cleaned them and put them back. Set air mixture screw at 2 1/2 full turns out. Wouldn't idle on it's own, rode the throttle around 1/8-1/4. Have pods for filters and by the way no baffles on the exhaust. Won't start now... Previously had carbs off and checked the floats, trimmed the gaskets where I thought they might be rubbing the floats and gave everything a thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Plugs were wet black after the 20 mins I had it running. Cleaned them and put them back. Set air mixture screw at 2 1/2 full turns out. Wouldn't idle on it's own, rode the throttle around 1/8-1/4. Have pods for filters and by the way no baffles on the exhaust. Won't start now... Previously had carbs off and checked the floats, trimmed the gaskets where I thought they might be rubbing the floats and gave everything a thorough cleaning.
FYI, compression showed right side 105psi, left side 88 psi. Valves are adjusted .002. recently had generator and rectifier and stator replaced. I replaced the ignition coil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is no way that a #38 is adequate for ur bike. I was runnin a 42 with my modded bike,was a touch to much at 6000'. U need at least a #40, and go from there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is no way that a #38 is adequate for ur bike. I was runnin a 42 with my modded bike,was a touch to much at 6000'. U need at least a #40, and go from there.
Never occurred to me to go higher because the plugs are already fouling - I thought because too rich mixture. But what the hey, I’ll give it a try! Not running this way. I’ll source them on line and let you know how it goes, probably in week or so. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your objective is to get the bike to idle on 1 to 1.5 turns out on the idle mix screw. Also go ahead an get a few main jets just in case. 40 and 42 for the idle, and a variety of bigger jets. You are gonna hear the the difference of each jet makes and how the are syncing with each other and the needle position. I know your bike must sound awfully harsh right now. Just wait, your gonna make it sing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With my new exhaust put on today, a carbon fiber straight thru muffler, #40 idle is not enough. #42 was the ticket. The #98 is not enough. #100 is on order. @ BKbroiler, how is your bike running on the #104?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your objective is to get the bike to idle on 1 to 1.5 turns out on the idle mix screw. Also go ahead an get a few main jets just in case. 40 and 42 for the idle, and a variety of bigger jets. You are gonna hear the the difference of each jet makes and how the are syncing with each other and the needle position. I know your bike must sound awfully harsh right now. Just wait, your gonna make it sing.
Thank you for the encouragement. I need it about now. Very difficult finding jets for these 2017 OEMSTD carbs. Replica kiehin’s worked for the fast jets...

·
Registered
17 Posts
De nada. I hear ya. I used idle jets from cb400. And modified them; shortened, reduced the diameter or it, and cut in a groove for the screwdriver.

·
Registered
14 Posts
De nada. I hear ya. I used idle jets from cb400. And modified them; shortened, reduced the diameter or it, and cut in a groove for the screwdriver.
I just ordered some cb400 idle jets. I’ll see if I can make them work. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a CB160 with Keihin PE22's, pod filters and CL160 straight pipes (no silencer). Any chance anyone could suggest a range of jets to try? I'll be doing some testing soon and don't want to over order main jets if I can help it. Anyone have a similar set up they could share?
Hey BK, do you mind my asking if you found jets for your carbs? I think I have similar set up and am having a heckuva time finding idle jets. I find the replica keihin main jets work with my ‘67 OEMSTD carbs on my 1965 cb160, but no one seems to be carrying the slow jets…

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey BK, do you mind my asking if you found jets for your carbs? I think I have similar set up and am having a heckuva time finding idle jets. I find the replica keihin main jets work with my ‘67 OEMSTD carbs on my 1965 cb160, but no one seems to be carrying the slow jets…
Sorry, the OEMSTD carbs were put on in 2017 (not ‘67)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm going to try to adapt the idle jets from cb400. Thank you for the suggestion! Extensive research on my part shows slow jets for OEMSTD carbs only come in 35 & 38. Unfortunately next step would be replacing the carbs...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts