Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My son and I are in the middle of a CB160 cafe build and I am finding it hard to find tires that will look good and, most importantly would be safe for some spirited road riding here in Ohio.

I've tried to locate a source for these Bridgestone Battlax BT39ss to no avail. Besides this, the 2.5-18 are listed as non-road use tires (for racing only).

Am I stuck with 2.5-18 for the front or do I have some wiggle room on this size? Ditto for the rear...

Battlax.jpg

·
Registered
755 Posts
I found kendas that fit the bill, but it's been a few years. I wanted to keep the tires to stock size.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Its the inside diameter that they're rated for in the chart below. I've got a 1.85 rim at home where I can measure the outside width for reference.

I took a look at Partzilla.com and your stock tire sizes are 18 x 2.75 rear and 18 x 2.50 front. You may have room to run a 2.75 on the front too, but I have no way to know that. For narrow tires I think moped, and a good site for moped and light motorcycle tires is Treatland moped parts superstore

By the way 18 x 2.75 front and rear racing tires: https://www.treatland.tv/honda-MB5-RACER-wider-tire-party-in-18-x-2-75-p/honda-mb5-racer-tire-party.htm

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great price point on the MB5 tires. Looks like these are rated 42P on their website. Translates to 92mph speed index and 310 pounds load rating which would seem about right.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Stock rim sizes for a CB160 seem to be 1.6" WM1 width, but it also seems possible that they are 1.85" WM2 width.
https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/44-tires-wheels-brakes/37801-what-stock-rim-sizes-cb160.html

The chart I posted below shows applicable tire sizes. There are several build threads where one size wider rims were laced to stock hubs on several different bikes, resulting in much better handling along with more 'currently available' tires to choose from.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, after all the agonizing we decided to go with a more classic look and got a set of Duro HF-319 (Vintage K70's) for both front and rear. They come in both 2.5-18 and 2.75-18 and were quite an affordable option for us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts