Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Since there are only two ways it can go on the advancer assembly, if the engine backfires when you try to start it - take it off and turn it 180°. Not trying to be a smarta**, but I don't know if there is a mark on the advancer body or center shaft that lines up with a mark on the breaker cam on the 160... but you'll know in a hurry if it doesn't start

·
Registered
893 Posts
What’s the correct way it should be installed ?
Now you have me worried ....

Did you take the advancer apart or just off?

Correct way to install is to match up the small pin on the camshaft with the small slot on the advance unit. If you screwed this up then you may have bigger issues.

If you took the advance unit apart to clean and lube then you can put it back together two ways one of which is correct the other is 180 degrees out.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
It really doesn't matter, The 160 has a 360° crank with a double-ended coil that fires both cylinders at every revolution. 360° of crankshaft rotation equals 180° of camshaft rotation. The advance unit has two identical lobes on it, if you turn the center 180° it will fire exactly at the same place.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It really doesn't matter, The 160 has a 360° crank with a double-ended coil that fires both cylinders at every revolution. 360° of crankshaft rotation equals 180° of camshaft rotation. The advance unit has two identical lobes on it, if you turn the center 180° it will fire exactly at the same place.
and there you go... I hadn't looked at one in so long, I just assumed it was similar to the 180° twins problems with it being backwards

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Mike in idaho is correct. I like to take a test lamp and hook it across the points so when the points start to open at the timing mark the light goes out . This will tell you it is in time. I made mine with its own power source so you dont have the ing on to long and damage the coils. Also I can set the time on the bench when rebuilding a motor.

Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New coil points condenser timing advancer clean free and timing set to spec. Still have the same flat spot on the throttle after warmed up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The flat spot could be from an air leak, sucking air at the idle mix adjusters. The o-ring may have dried out. The manifolds can get warped and air can get sucked in there.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Does it stumble when the throttle is first opened, off-idle? Richen up the air screw adjustment a bit and see if that takes care of the flat spot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts