Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
I've done it to a 175 several times (and differing mount points), but the easiest is to fab a bracket that mounts off the top front motor mounts and the existing threaded hole in the lower fork bracket...
Pic shows a 305 damper, but the aftermarket ones mount similarly....
Feel free to phone to discuss....540-525-5199....Steve

damper2.jpg

·
Banned
854 Posts
Just curious to know how much of a difference does a stabilizer makes?

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Just curious to know how much of a difference does a stabilizer makes?
The best way I can describe that difference is to specify what a steering damper is and does, so, let's compare it to a typical shock absorber...
In the shock, the spring is the actual suspension....The damper just controls the speed at which the spring can compress and rebound, and helps eliminate "pogo"....
In the steering, the damper resists "sudden", sharp, or radical changes to the bikes steered direction while still allowing slower, more constant, or even changes to steering.....

Think: reduces chances of a "speed wobble" or "tank-slapper" at greater rates of speed

As Bill stated, the factory stock friction dampers can be markedly efficient at this task, and I actually prefer them to the hydraulic units..... Unfortunately, many "Tech inspections" no longer allow them for racing purposes....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'm with you Steve on the old ones - particularly useful is the way they can be adjusted on the fly.
Loosen up for flickability, tighten a little for stability at higher speeds.
I went to a lot of trouble to get one on my disk-brake 450.
But right, racers usually need to have a hydro unit to pass inspection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts