Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it might be time to upgrade the rectifier on my CB160. AC voltage out of the is generator is about 30v in night mode with some moderate revs. The DC out of the rectifier is around 11.5 in day mode and 12.5 on night mode and only changes slightly with revs. I have been looking around and I have seen rectifiers range in price from $14 - $129. My question is are the high dollar units worth the cost?

I am kind of leaning towards the 4into1 unit that is $15.00 but if the Rick's or Charlie's units are worth the money I don't have a problem spending it. I just don't want to spend the money if there is really not much performance difference.

I have searched the boards and have been unable to find any comparison between the units.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
In the UK you can buy a unit like the one below for the equivalent of 6 USD, with free delivery. I have these on both of my 175s and they work fine, steady 14v once over 3K rpm or so. And if they did fail, just swap it out for a fresh one, not that that has been an issue for me. At that price, pays to keep a couple of spare ones on hand.

cheap.JPG

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sonreir, I am assuming on your unit the red wire goes to the red battery feed, the yellow to the yellow and the pink on your unit would go to the brown wire on my CB160?

wiring.jpg

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
160....Yellow_______Modern....Yellow
160....Brown_______Modern....Pink
160....Pink ________Modern....White
160....Red_________Modern....Red (battery+)
160....Green_______Modern....Green (battery-)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help!! The one you linked to doesn’t have a modern white? Are they in stock?

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Modern white is connected to Yellow when headlights are turned on, OR you can just bypass that switch and put both white and yellow ( in your case, 160 Yellow and 160 pink) both to one AC connection (modern R/R Yellow) and the 160 Brown to the other AC connection (modern R/R Pink)

160 pink + 160 yellow to modern Yellow.....
160 brown to modern Pink......
R/R Red to B+.....
R/R Green to B- or other good ground...

Phone if it still doesn't make sense to you.....540-525-5199...... Steve

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you're considering upgrading the rectifier, is it for the lighting? Consider going to an LED headlight instead (and changing the tail/brake light bulb to an LED one as well). LED lighting has a higher lumen output and a low wattage draw. Makes for safer night riding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts