Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just making sure I have this right ...there should be 2 knock pins (alignment dowels) on the intake side between the cases and the cylinders and there should be 4 between the cylinders and the head ...the 2 intake side dowels get o-rings? My parts manuals don't show any and I seem to be missing 2 from what came back with the bored cylinders.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I realize it's too late this time, but a good rule of thumb is to take any removable pieces off the part in question that might be lost when sending out any part for machine work. In case you are not familiar with cmsnl.com, here is the exploded view of the parts involved. #19 knock pins (4 required) and #20 o-rings (2 required)

160 top end.jpg

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sadly the cmsnl view shown is not that "clear" but does show 4 cylinder base dowels and the oil way to the cylinder head on the left rear stud, sealed ( oil allowed to pass to the stud tunnel and up to the cylinder head, but not out of the engine as a leak ) via the base gasket its self, and head gasket oil seal.

I cannot see any dowel between the cylinder and the head but do see the o ring seal for the oil way.

The clymer manual i have for this bike ( the small red book i have is not as helpful either ) is not entirely that clear also.

Usually the holes that have a dowel are double diameter, machined for a certain depth to accept the dowel.

Check on the upper crank case and the cylinder head gasket area.

I had a look at the clymer manual but did not note down what i saw, doh!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts