Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After dancing with erratic idle on my 160 Honda I think I finally have it under control. I had previously cleaned the carbs and dialed in the timing and I still couldn't' get a stable idle. Ready to give up I finally decided to give it one more shot. I pulled the carbs all the way down again and cleaned everything. I boiled the carb bodies in water and lemon juice, replaced the needles and seats, replaced the manifold o-rings
and rechecked the float levels. Before I buttoned things up I pulled the centrifugal advance and took a slight amount of slack out of the springs. I tweaked them to where there was no play at all and the advance unit would spring closed when I released it. I fired up the bike and it now idles just as it should. So what fixed it? Carbs or advance unit. I'm not sure. All I know is it's fixed and neither procedure was that big of a deal. It's kind of a hassle pulling the carbs multiple times but I'm glad I did it. Well worth the effort.

·
Registered
171 Posts
On my cb160 it would idle but break up bad when revved. Ended up being a frozen cent. Advance. Those are pricey so just set timing to full advance ( the line w no letter marking) and has run great for years. I chased that problem for months, carbs, valves, coils etc etc. before figuring it out. I even rode it in a Moto Giro like that- a Honda 50 passed me going up hill!

Yours could have been stuck in the advanced position, causing a rough idle. I think it was the carbs....

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm betting carbs. I rebuilt twenty something carbs in one summer a couple years ago, ended up buying an ultrasonic cleaner off ebay (money well spent). This gasoline cocktail we now have is hell on carbs and older fuel inj components. Use K-100 to keep water suspended in solution and not puddled in the bottom of your tank and components. Run motors very often. Av gas best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts