Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

So I have installed an aftermarket horn/light switch on my cb160. But the horn doesn't seem to be working. I have the (black) power wire connected to the new switch and the headlight will go and off. But I first tried using the horn button as the starter button connected to the starter relay and it didn't work and now I've tried it connected to the horn and that's not working either. Could I be missing something on the wiring, or is it more likely that the horn and the starter relay (both of which came off the bike that was sitting for years in a junkyard) were not working to begin with?

Addition....

so I just googled how to test the horn with just the battery and I did that, and the horn is working just fine... sooooo, am I missing something in the wiring?

I have the black (power) wire going to the black wire on the horn and then the light green wire from the horn, I have going to the button on the switch... What could I be missing?

thank you

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Using a multimeter or test light determine whether power is getting to the horn button. Then determine whether the horn button is actually making contact (power coming out the other contact when pressed).

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Go buy yourself a test light so you can figure out what's going on. Both the horn and the starter solenoid are activated by grounding a wire at the handlebar switch. If your new switch puts out 12 volts instead of grounding the wire it won't work. If that's the case you can make things work by unplugging the black wire on the horn from the main harness and grounding it to one of the mounting bolts. Then the 12 volts, coming from the switch, will make it work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the replies... as it turned out, it was a grounding thing. there were two wires coming out of the horn button and the ebay instructions (if you can call them that) said you could use either one, so that's what I did, but as it turned out, the other one needed to be grounded... haha... all good now... thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts