Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I refurbished my 1965 cb160 and when I try to start it (cold state) I must run the electric starter alot and it putts and putts but wont start.... It finally starts after jacking the accelerator while trying to start.... To keep it running , I must jack the accelerator till its warm.....after warmup......it runs perfectly........ I can turn it off and hit the electric start one little bit and it starts right away.... does anyone know what is wrong sith starting when it is cold.....?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Dont know if the 160 is like the 305s.But in Bill silvers book he stated if the 305 ran smooth when its cold the carbs were set to rich. After building several motors 350 and under they all ran rough when cold but great when they were warm. The only 400 I built runs perfect cold or warm. I dont know why but I think its the better carbs. There are better wrench turners on here than me so they will probably tell us what were doing wrong. I think it may be the nature of the beast.

Bill

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Went out to the shop and picked up my 160 manual. It states to put the choke on. Open the throttle 1/4 turn. Start the motor and run it at med speed with the choke on for 2 min. before riding. The choke has relief valve so maybe its not working properly.

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts