Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright! So I just did a fuel petcock removal and it was so full of a white Lyme or calcium build up! I was quoted $50.00 for a brand new one and I thought about my options. 1. get the new one and don't bother rebuilding the original, 2. Rebuild the original one and get a new fuel bowl ($25.00 for the rebuild kit, $12.00 for a new fuel bowl, $2-5 for a fuel filter) and hope I don't get debris in my engine. Oh and to boot the o-ring that seats to the gas tank doesn't leak since it was eaten out beyond belief, I can show in pictures if you'd like. So what would you do?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I've had mixed results in the past when rebuilding petcocks... sometimes it's simpler to just replace it, as the kits often don't have the exact parts or all of the parts and even if they do, the results can still be disappointing, with fuel weeping out around the lever due to a poor fit of one of the gaskets or rubber parts. that said, you should always post pictures of parts issues if you have them, it's way easier than trying to describe every detail. And, hopefully the pics will zoom too :D

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
First - nice pics, they zoom well. Good job there... on another subject, interesting paint on the tank as well as the petcock. Looks like mirraflake in blue paint, reminds me of the clear coat my Dad did over a pearl white frame on a CB750. Weird that the petcock got painted though... but if it were mine, I'd just spring for a new one, that one has a lot of corrosion and it might be that way inside too which would make for even less luck in a rebuild. The o-ring might be hard to find, it's NLA and NOS rubber parts aren't always good

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think you're right, the petcock was left there during the painting process because I wasn't able to get it off at first. I had let it soak over the course of 2-3 days in pb blaster and it finally broke free. I think it'll be the best solution to just spring for a new one and I'll keep this one as a backup if I ever run into emergency situation. Also I know there is multiple choices for tank sealers, is it worth it to seal it or should I give evaporust a chance?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I ordered a brand new fuel petcock from Brian at www.speedmotoco.com, it ended up costing me $50 but I'd rather pay the price of a new one, and throw on some inline fuel filters to prevent the motor from having problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts