Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get the chrome threaded on covers off for a week. So far I've tried the strap wrench + sticky rosin trick, the bearings and hose clamp trick, and I've made two versions of a tool from pipe with a drill, a vise and taps. The first had the handles bend out, and the second is thicker walled and pictured below, but I still can't get any movement.

IMG_1791.JPG
The large bolts are m8 and are the handles, the two smaller ones are m6 and have the tips ground to fit into the holes on the fork. I checked and I am not destroying the holes on the fork (bolts softer than the chrome?).

So my question is, am I correct that they are a normal thread and should unscrew lefty loosy towards the top of the fork? Do I just need more penetrating oil and torch heat cycling? Can I get these hot without worrying about warping them? I have new fork seals so damage to them is not a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,837 Posts
Pretty sure they just unscrew. I'm stuck on this job too. Did you try a big pipe wrench? Maybe two to keep it centered easier?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,549 Posts
They are right hand thread, your tool looks similar to the one I made: 001.JPG After about 50 years the sealer on those threads gets pretty solid, and things come apart hard. Try heating it ,as much as you dare, before you crank on it next time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe that picture was one of the ones I drew inspiration from. I will go with the heat option then.

I don't actually own a pipe wrench unfortunately. Maybe I could try getting help and using channel locks on the pipe, while also using the bolt handles.

I'm thinking last resort is to take the pipe to somewhere with a drill press, get them to drill 4 perfectly placed holes and weld some long thick handles on and see if that works
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
To update this, I had 4 holes drilled in the pipe and a bar welded onto it by a local metal shop. I then tapped the holes for m6 bolts and ground them down to fit the holes in the fork.

The first one came off with effort but ruined the threads on 3/4 bolts. I reground them and proceeded to the second.

It did not come off with effort until I extended the bar by putting tools into them to make them longer. But come apart it did and now it should be smooth sailing.
IMG_1875.JPG
Mmm rusty fork seals
IMG_1876.JPG
Taking offers on these original low mileage fork seals :D
IMG_1877.JPG
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top