Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, got my CB160 to become a first time starter from a non-runner, but when I start (with choke), the engine sounds fine then races. Am I correct in thinking this could be an air leak where the manifolds bolt onto the head?

Also, I've only ridden it 100 yards, but the speedometer needle was indicating 50-80mph. Do I need to strip the speedo and clean that all up?

Thanks all.

·
Sensei
26,576 Posts
Or insulator to head, carb to manifold, cracked insulator, OVER-TIGHTENED, etc.......

·
Registered
794 Posts
For the speedo you need to disconnect the cable where it meets the speedometer behind the headlight and check a) whether the cable turns normally when the front wheel spins and b) whether the speedo itself is free to turn. I dremelled down a square screw driving bit to the same size as the cable to stick up into there and try to turn. If rough (mine was almost siezed), you can spray some sort of lube up into where the cable goes and work the drive with the drill bit until it frees up (don't turn upside down to do this or you'll get lube all up into the glass and it'll look awful).

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Are the slides in the carbs on the correct sides? beveled edge towards the air filters? Carb tops on the correct side? Is there any slack in the throttle cable when at idle?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or insulator to head, carb to manifold, cracked insulator, OVER-TIGHTENED, etc.......
Thanks 66, I've only ever removed the carbs with the manifolds on, so I guess that's the likely place for an air leak There is an 'O' ring on the manifold, they both looked 'ok' so I didn't replace them. Perhaps I should. Not overtightened this time, maybe in the past - I'll look very carefully for damage.
Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the slides in the carbs on the correct sides? beveled edge towards the air filters? Carb tops on the correct side? Is there any slack in the throttle cable when at idle?
Hiya Mike, yes, both slides have cut-outs to the rear, carb tops correctly fitted down. New throttle cable, and no slack. I think its all good, but I will double check tomorrow
Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the speedo you need to disconnect the cable where it meets the speedometer behind the headlight and check a) whether the cable turns normally when the front wheel spins and b) whether the speedo itself is free to turn. I dremelled down a square screw driving bit to the same size as the cable to stick up into there and try to turn. If rough (mine was almost siezed), you can spray some sort of lube up into where the cable goes and work the drive with the drill bit until it frees up (don't turn upside down to do this or you'll get lube all up into the glass and it'll look awful).
Thanks, this all looks sensible. Simply working lube into the speedo head - it all seems a bit too easy somehow - I haven't found an easy solution to anything on this bike yet! Staying home and keeping safe at the moment, I'll get cracking on this tomorrow
Cheers

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hiya Mike, yes, both slides have cut-outs to the rear, carb tops correctly fitted down. New throttle cable, and no slack. I think its all good, but I will double check tomorrow
Thanks!
You need some slack in the cable. 1mm or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts