Honda Twins banner

Cb160 Carburetor troubles

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Richard_Pitman 
#1 ·
Hi all,can anybody tell me if the pilot jets which which come in the Keyster kits are any good ?.I am beginning to think that the only part that works with these kits is the box that it came in .What is the overall length of the jet (size 38 ) as I have seen on the web that the length is wrong .I have tried to buy genuine jets but it seems nobody has any in uk .Thank you .Pete

#2 ·
#3 ·
I rebuilt a pair of CB200 carbs using a Keyster kit. I was reassured to see 'Made in Japan' written on the box.

This kit had #38 pilot jets in it, and they appeared identical to the original Keihin ones, external dimensions at least. Same went for the #88 main jets. Rebuilt carbs worked as expected ( when fitted to my CL175 ).

The float needles and seats were a different story, needles were too 'fat' for the seats, kept hanging up. Resolved by using Keyster seats and existing Keihin needles.

Overall, I'd say that the Keyster kits are much better than the 'Rusty Riders' kits which I've also tried and discarded.

#4 ·
I have not had any trouble with the jets on the 160 carb kits, but the pilot screw, idle screw, and rubber parts now that is a whole different story. Those parts were not machined to factory specs and the O-rings would not seal and created vacuum leaks. Used Honda parts and no more problems.
TOOLS

#5 ·
Thank you all for your reply's .A common comment seems to be do not use the needles or float gaskets _ float valves or o rings :grin:When i bought the bike it must have already had a refurb kit fitted ? as all the parts from my new kit appear to be the same . With the kit fitted it used to flood all the time,cured by buying genuine Honda float valves ,with the needles from the kit it would hardly run and pumped fuel out of the exhaust, cured by fitting genuine needles .As i do not seem to be able to get a reliable tick over I naturally suspect the pilot jets, but as i said in my first post i can not seem to find anybody with genuine size 38 jets in stock :eek: Cheers Pete

#6 ·
#8 ·
As i do not seem to be able to get a reliable tick over I naturally suspect the pilot jets
Are you absolutely 100% certain that the carbs are completely clean ?

There have been quite a few folks on here, myself included, who were certain that they had cleaned their carbs thoroughly but still had idle issues. One guy resorted to threading guitar strings through the passage ways, I junked my cheap jewellery cleaner and bought a proper ultrasonic bath, along with specific carb cleaner. Amazed at the muck that fetched out of a 'clean' pair of carbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.