Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post here, really glad there's a community going for these bikes!

So I've just bought a CB125TD from eBay, and had it delivered to my home address, however when it arrived the carb drainage pipes seem to be leaking a significant amount of fuel!

The guy I bought it off said he just had the carbs serviced, so I dunno why this is happening.. but it is.

I'm thinking about taking it off and looking at the float, but I'm worried I may bite off more than I can chew with this, is it difficult? The most difficult thing's I've done on bikes was firstly replacing the clutch, and second replacing a rear tyre... Will this be any more difficult than those two tasks? Thanks.

Also, the bike was running before it was delivered, and the previous owner said he drained the carbs by leaving the bike running with the fuel turned off (for some reason after every use? I don't understand some people.. Or maybe I'm a newb?). Also I tried turning the drainage screw, but as it's an old bike it seems that's in there pretty firm. At present the bike won't run, however it came close to it, but now the battery's too low to turn over and I don't have a charger. Hopefully I can fix this then bump start it.

thanks, any info would be great, as I'm very eager to see this thing run!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't know your bike in particular, but it's no problem to take the bowls off the carbs and see if something shook loose in travel. Sounds like it could just be a stuck float. Rap on the bowl with the handle of a screwdriver - see if it loosens up. That drain is your overflow (again, don't know the bike - but it's an educated guess).

Also - yes - turn the fuel off and run the fuel out of the carbs - standard practice after a ride on these older bikes. That way it's not sitting in there ready to gum everything up in case it ends up sitting for a while.

PLUS - with the fuel on and the bike sitting you stand the chance of an overflow in the carbs and possibly fuel getting down into the oil which is bad.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Considering the projects you have already completed, I suspect you are very capable of fixing whatever the problem is here. As Gene said, tapping on the bowl may be all that is required. If not, removing and repairing the carb is not too difficult. Unthinkable as it may be, one must consider the remote possibility that an e-bay seller mis-represented the product.

Welcome to the group.

Got pictures?:p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts