Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I are undergoing a 360 rebuild project. We acquired a cl360, but are putting a cb360 exhaust on it. What we have now encountered is a clearance problem with the junction of the exhaust header, pipe, and kicker starter. They converge at the exact same location. Everything is too tight with the brake pedal, engine, kick starter, and the exhaust compression clamp. When the exhaust is clamped onto the header using the provided compression clamp, the bolt head from the kick starter will hit the compression clamp, scratch it, and even pries it off. I attempted reversing the kick starter bolt from the back side. But in that scenario, the bolt head is slamming into the engine case.

How did the original cb360 exhaust ever function with so little clearance at that location? Am I limited to using an ugly aviator band clamp? God help me if I have to do something so cheesy. What suggestions might you have? I don't have a picture for you as I removed the exhaust pipe to try things. Maybe later

Much appreciated:

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
They are close, but the pipe usually can be moved a little so the bolt misses. I had the same issue, so a bought a bolt with a shorter head...Worked fine, and misses my clamp...I'll see if I can get a pic later...

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I think CB kickstart has slightly different knuckle fitted on splines compared to the CL.
It's a more or less 'standard' Honda spline so a slightly longer replacement should be easy enough to find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the image, @Mydlyfkryzis. Believe it or not, the space that I have is tighter than that. I've attached a couple images of my solution. I found the proper thread philips head bolt that will fit. My son to the starter to the machine shop he works at and burnished into the starter a 60 degree bevel. The screw lays flush, now.

I don't like a philips head in this application, where there will be some torque on it. It's all I got as I could not find an allen head with similar head.

Hopefully these pictures post nice.

DSCN0171.JPG

The screw seats in lays flush.

DSCN0172.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts