Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I continued to break the bike down today without a manual and the only issues I have run into so far are the two screws that hold the wire for the alternator inside the front sprocket case. Both screw heads stripped :evil: My impact driver didn't do it's job. Now what is the best solution to remove these two screws. I also have one screw on the forward cam cover that's in the same condition.

Question #2 is what is the secret to removing the engine? Everything is unbolted but I can't seem to figure out how to get it out (clearance issues? ) Pretty bad for an ex Honda mechanic but come to think of it, I don't recall ever working on one back then :oops:

Terry

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Straddle the bike.... grab under the points journal and the kick lever... lift slightly up and tilt to the left... out the left side....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
To expand a little on what Steve said-

Pull of the oil drain bolt first.
Grab where Steve said, lift up about 1-1/2", slide it to the left.
Balance it on the left frame member while you move from the straddle position to the left side of the bike.
Lift it out, Bob's yer' Uncle.

I'm an Olde Farte, and I can do it easy in just a few seconds.

Now lifting it up on the bench, that'll make you grunt.........

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys thanks. I'll give that a shot in the AM. Bet you don't have a brass "Old Fart" key tag. I do! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just couldn't wait. I did it as you said and couldn't believe how easy it popped out. I feel like such an idiot! I will have to figure out how to get those screws out now that the phiillips heads are stripped out. If it's too much work, I'll just remove the alternator from the side case so I can polish the case off the engine. Found that I have a slight crack in the alt cover so I will have to replace that too. Who makes those cool finned covers?

Terry

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Terry -

Glad you got the motor out - it's easy as pie on a 450.

Don't know where you can get a finned cover - they appear on EBay occasionally, but I don't think they've been made in decades.

As for the screws, I generally just use a chisel to cut a slot and tap on them for a while.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well guys, I searched and searched and, if it's in here, I can't find it so, forgive me if it's been suggested before.
Concerning engine removal. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not going to risk a hernia lifting an engine out. I unbolted everything and started to lift it out and said-- OH Hecky no!!
I put in a couple of bolts, laid down some cardboard, a piece of carpet and laid the bike gently on it's left side. I removed the bolts from the top head stay and the thru bolt under the transmission. Picked the bike up by the back wheel, rocked it slightly and lifted it off the engine. I rolled the bike out of the way, perp walked the engine up onto a little caster equipped stand and pushed the motor to it's waiting spot in my little works area.
Now that the frame is blasted and painted, I'll just lay the motor on it's left side again, lay the bare frame over it (a helper should make it even easier so as not to chip the paint on the frame), put the bolts back in it and set it upright.
Then, tilt it forward to install the back wheel, floor jack up the front to install the forks and front wheel and badda bing, badda boom!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
That's NOT so easy with an entirely assembled rolling chassis....LOL..... I'm neither big nor strong (5'7" and 160) and almost 60 years old, ...No problems with a 450 engine... It's more technique than strength...... (although I use a stand to hold it close to height to slip it in from)

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Taking the start off helps a bunch. It's even more helpful when installing the motor.

Here the striped bolts. Use a dremel tool or something and cut a slot in the screw head then use a flat screwdriver and an impact wrench.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yer' all wimps :shock: :shock: :?

I'm 62 and had cancer - I can whip out a 450 engine, starter and all, and have it up on the bench in a flash.
In more youthful days I could even do it with a 750.....

Now a CB200 - that's a beeyutch !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Yer' all wimps :shock: :shock: :?

I'm 62 and had cancer - I can whip out a 450 engine, starter and all, and have it up on the bench in a flash.
In more youthful days I could even do it with a 750.....

Now a CB200 - that's a beeyutch !!!!!!
Comon' over, I've got a Gold Wing motor that could probably use a rebuild. :) :) :lol:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I AM NOT A WIMP!... (wait a minute, I AM a wimp, but I can still pull or insert a 450 engine by myself... In a full rolling chassis....).... LMAO!.... :lol: :lol: :lol: Steve

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
How much do these engines weigh anyways. I had my 400 out and moved it around some so it can't be too heavy :D , but about how much do they weigh?

Since the 400 has a stressed engine, I never had to lift it out of the frame, but for installation I had to lift it up and hold it to get the bolts in. However, I'll be removing the 350 engine out of the frame over the winter, so just wondering what kind of weight I'll be looking at.

·
Registered
703 Posts
HerrDeacon said:
How much do these engines weigh anyways. I had my 400 out and moved it around some so it can't be too heavy :D , but about how much do they weigh?

Since the 400 has a stressed engine, I never had to lift it out of the frame, but for installation I had to lift it up and hold it to get the bolts in. However, I'll be removing the 350 engine out of the frame over the winter, so just wondering what kind of weight I'll be looking at.

Yes but Newfies can lift any'ting by.

·
Registered
703 Posts
There are a few of you Newfies out here in Alberta.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
HerrDeacon said:

The 400 is a tougher job, since it's used as a frame member - like you said, it has to be lifted into place and held there.
The 450 is way easier, and like Steve said, it's all technique, not strength.

Your 350 engine weighs about 130 pounds, and isn't too bad to remove. A 450 engine weighs in at about 150 pounds.
CB200 is about 100 pounds, 400T2 is about the same as a 350............

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wouldn't call myself a wimp but, I sure ain't what I used to be (almost 62) . I straddled the frame, grabbed the exhaust port on the left and kick starter on the right and -- it moved about a quarter of an inch. I'm sure it was pretty well welded into the frame from corrosion.
The chassis was stripped of pegs, exhaust, seat and tank. It was nothing to lower it on it's side. Grabbed the back wheel, jiggled it and plop, out came the motor. Standing up the bike was effortless without the motor.
Plus, straddling the frame puts all the work on your back muscles in that bent over position.
Just thought I would pass this along as an alternative method

1 - 20 of 23 Posts