Honda Twins banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,i just joined,what a great site.i'm rebuilding my cl450 motor and the 2 cam followers from exhaust side(are all 4 are the same) are worn beyond usable limits.does anyone in here know where some can be had?i've tried e-bay and some online sites to no avail.if they can be had used or new any info would be greatley appreciated.thank you.tim...

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tim.

Do a search of the forum and you'll find the information you're looking for. In fact, the subject is being discussed currently.

You'll find a great deal of expertise on the 450 here. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will be along to assist you.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Tim,
Yes, all four cam followers are the same part number...... They are rapidly becoming rare and expensive (about $80 each) and a few members share your dilemma.
It is almost to the point where I'm going to try rewelding them with hardface, and re-grinding, re-polishing, and re-hardening some for myself.....
I have also considered making up some alloy "roller rockers" but haven't fully investigated the possibility...YET!.....although I'm somehow sure clearance issues would come into play.......

Keep a sharp watch on ebay, perhaps a complete head assembly would contain some good intake side ones (if it's inexpensive enough).... The exhaust side followers always seem to go first..... Steve

HENRY!... perhaps we could look into my idea...... :D

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
In fact, all 450's (even 4-speeds) use the same tappets, and they are all the same part number, intake or exhaust.
Not that that will be any help in finding some.......

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
OK gents i have one NOS set that i just bought from a local dealer, NOT CHEEP, I paid $200 for the 4 and will pass them on to whoever needs them for the same cost plus postage. I don't usually sell the hard to get pieces and DON'T make any $ from these type of sales :( David silver still has them for $63 US if that's a help for anyone ;)

Sorry for the hard line but these are the last set i have for sale and don't really want to sell them :(

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Registered
224 Posts
66Sprint said:
Tim,
Yes, all four cam followers are the same part number...... They are rapidly becoming rare and expensive (about $80 each) and a few members share your dilemma.
It is almost to the point where I'm going to try rewelding them with hardface, and re-grinding, re-polishing, and re-hardening some for myself.....
I have also considered making up some alloy "roller rockers" but haven't fully investigated the possibility...YET!.....although I'm somehow sure clearance issues would come into play.......

Keep a sharp watch on ebay, perhaps a complete head assembly would contain some good intake side ones (if it's inexpensive enough).... The exhaust side followers always seem to go first..... Steve

HENRY!... perhaps we could look into my idea...... :D

WHAT YA WANT YA OLD FART! Swing by here and bring a couple and some coffee. Im workin nights come Monday. So, we wanna play with somethin, thats when I can do it.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
If I wasn't sure what was gonna become of my head conversion then I'd be jumping on those followers... I do know I'm going the full coil spring conversion, eventually/soon....

If no one else takes em then consider them sold to ME.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
tjwsuperxracer said:
hi all,i just joined,what a great site.i'm rebuilding my cl450 motor and the 2 cam followers from exhaust side(are all 4 are the same) are worn beyond usable limits.does anyone in here know where some can be had?i've tried e-bay and some online sites to no avail.if they can be had used or new any info would be greatley appreciated.thank you.tim...
Tim,
just an idea. Since I also need two exhaust followers, would it be ok for you if Rod sold two of the four NOS followers in his set to me and the other two to you? In that way we would get two 450's running on one set of cam followers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If the part is the same on an 81 450 I have some. Not sure if they are though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nevermind. They aren't. CMSNL has them listed as available at $79.50 each. If they show them available then normally if you CALL Ron Ayers and have them check either they can get them or they will do a dealer shearch and tell you where you can buy them. Probably for cheaper. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I just bought a whole head from DanWI. I really only need one of the followers. When they get here, I'll take a look at them and see if there are two extra usuable ones. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I think you were talking to me there Flug...? If so I appreciate the offer but I was really considering the new ones that Rod has. Nothing but new parts are going into the top end of my project. High dollar ones at that..

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts