Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought what I thought was a 73 CL 350 scrambler (red and white tank) with an old registration from VT with a CL vin #. The bike looked exactly like a 73 scrambler same colors and everything, just with CB exhaust (not installed). So I broke the entire thing down to the frame to have it sandblasted and powder coated and as i looked closer at the vin plate I noticed it started with CB. I got a little curious and went and looked at the old reg and sure enough the vin did not match the registration (it stated a CL # not a CB) I looked at the stamped left side and it matched the tag on the right. Just wondering if Honda would have used a CB frame on a CL scrambler?!! I guess I should have matched the reg to the vin plate when I bought it but stupid me didn’t think of it. At any rate, Just curious how this could be, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pretty sure that it's the same frame for both. Quick search shows frame swap straight up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
It does appear that the same frame was used for both bikes but that isn't your problem. If I understand you correctly the title you received with the bike doesn't match the numbers on the frame. It would be better if you got with the PO and got this straightened out than to try to explain it to DMV.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
That's a CB with a CL tank and seat. The CL never had a disc brake front end. Does the serial # on the engine say CB or CL?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Sometimes the engine serial number was used for title purposes.

Reactions: J-T

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately the PO stiffed me on some parts that I left when I picked it up from him, and will not return any of my calls, texts etc. so I’m not sure if he gave me the wrong paperwork or what, but he’s not gonna be of any help to me. As far as the engine, the # is a CB, which leads me to believe the bike has/had been previously modified. None of this is a huge deal as I’m rebuilding the entire thing frame up and I can register it with the paperwork I have. I have no plans to sell it when I’m done as I just love working on these bikes and will add it to my collection. My kids also love motorcycles so it will remain in the family for quite some time I’m sure.
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate your help.

Ride safe

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
If the serial number on your paperwork matches neither the frame nor the engine, then I see a problem somewhere along the way. The government likes for paperwork and frame numbers to match. That said, if you live in a state where you can register an old vehicle with nothing more than a bill of sale, then you may be able to generate legal papers for it. Hope it doesn't come up in the database as a stolen bike.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
I think the Front Disk came to be with the 350G in 1974 not '73.
If both the Frame & Motor Numbers start with CB - it "IS" a CB.
The Next Digit (a Number) will tell what versions you have K-Model. If it is truely a '73 it should be a K-4.
Unless it is a Late Production August or later then it might really be a '74 G Model.

The Frames for CB/CL were the same Only the later version SL's had the double down tube frames.
I would see if there isn't a way for you to quitely get the VIN # researched for NOT Stolen.

Motor Swaps are no big deal BUT - I for one would not want to be riding a bike with paper work that didn't match.
Way too much explaining to do if a LEO wants to take a quick look-see.

I suspect the PO might talk to you if he received a message about fraud on the title paper work.
I also wouldn't put any more work or money into until you get the paper work fixed.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
'73 was the last year for the 350, and would be a K5. I'm guessing it's a 1973 350G. Serial # should start with a 5.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just ran a a cyclevin report and VINCheck, both free, and they both came up clean on the # on the frame.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I messaged him today with the info in the hopes that he gave me the wrong paperwork and maybe he has mine still. No answer. I'm thinking of contacting the police in his town and asking them to look into it for me. In my past experience with local police, they are not much help in situations between two civilians.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may try to get a new registration thru the state of VT and see if i can get a straight up new title as well. Wish me luck and thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Does the engine # match the frame#?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I don't think the frame and engine numbers ever matched on older Hondas. They were usually in the same ballpark, though.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I've never personally seen one that matched, though I have heard some here say they have - but it's undoubtedly a small number. It's my understanding that they pulled engines off the assembly line for testing and that was one factor in the numbers being off a fair amount

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
By matching, I meant are they in the same numerical range, they should be within 50 units or so.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Ah, now I understand what you meant. I've never paid much attention to the numeric difference between frame and engine numbers after realizing they rarely if ever matched so long ago. I'll have to look at my 450 to see how close they are. Hopefully Hemdog will check his and post as well

1 - 20 of 28 Posts