Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a CB350 engine for a dual sport creation. By next spring I will have a street legal air cooled twin Honda in a CR500 frame, under 380lbs out and exploring the back roads of Montana.
My question(s) and why I joined this site was to tap into the knowlege base on this motor.
I had one get me through college and more, but can I duplicate that reliability (mostly) with 362cc's and a cam/head work, perhaps a pair of FCR carbs, and a stator rewind for some HID's?
Thanks . . . . . . . Hank

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
How are you getting it "street legal" in a frame that is not DOT compliant, and marked as such?... The VIN tag clearly states "Not for highway use"....Just wondering as a similar design/modification insanity is on my mind.... ;)
However, I have no doubts that the modified bike will need constant attention to maintain its reliability.... Just like a race bike.....To gain performance you usually sacrifice some of the reliability.....Steve

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Steve, several states allow bikes like that to slip through the system. I see guys slip CR500's and KX500's as supermotos, through the system all the time..

Same wheels, hubs, and tires as I've got..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
In Virginia, you must have proof of insurance to get/keep it plated..... It's not so much the state I'm worried about....It's the insurance companies.....Their computers "spit" back as a "non-streetable" and your insurance does NOT cover anything...It's Voided....
Here you have to surrender your plates as soon as the insurance expires or face a large $ fine ($1000), plus have to "self-insure", an extremely expensive proposition.....
Plus, every year, there is/will be a hassle getting it inspected.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please don't take this as a brag (maybe the pride of low population+high liberty) but the big brother concerns are those of the "coasts" (for now anyway). I know as I am one from the left coast - happy refugee. But I have very contently settled in a state with less than one million residents. My YZ is plated. Hell ranchers plate their quads.
Life is a little different here.
Anyway I rode the snot out of an SL350 through college, no problems, (except a broken femur) I'm curious if any ya'll have a long relationship with the 362cc overbore.
A (possibly) +- 300lb 7/8 scale Paris-Dakar dual sport would be a hoot, yes? Dual HD's a must . . . . . maybe red/white/blue mmmmm

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am building a CB350 engine for a dual sport creation. By next spring I will have a street legal air cooled twin Honda in a CR500 frame, under 380lbs out and exploring the back roads of Montana.
My question(s) and why I joined this site was to tap into the knowlege base on this motor.
I had one get me through college and more, but can I duplicate that reliability (mostly) with 362cc's and a cam/head work, perhaps a pair of FCR carbs, and a stator rewind for some HID's?
Thanks . . . . . . . Hank
Hank, anything you do to a motor to increase the HP will affect the life of the engine. I have a cl350 that I bought when I got home from Nam and it still is in original condition cept for the seat cover. I have it stored for cold weather but it will kick right off when it gets warm. I will keep it until I can't ride it or my son wants it. Left is stock condition they will run forever if taken care of.

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
284 Posts
Hank. I have a Boretech 362 SL350 . I understand the increase in hp versus stock longevity theory. My bike has had a few problems. It was built with very high quality parts. I don't see any problem operating the motor under reasonable conditions on the street . I try to avoid high heat operation. The sleeves are thinner and it is air cooled. It is a very good running bike. Also I don't think a stock engine would be any less fun to ride. They are great running motors. Either way they're going to be a lot tamer than the CR500.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hank, anything you do to a motor to increase the HP will affect the life of the engine. I have a cl350 that I bought when I got home from Nam and it still is in original condition cept for the seat cover. I have it stored for cold weather but it will kick right off when it gets warm. I will keep it until I can't ride it or my son wants it. Left is stock condition they will run forever if taken care of.
Hank. I have a Boretech 362 SL350 . I understand the increase in hp versus stock longevity theory. My bike has had a few problems. It was built with very high quality parts. I don't see any problem operating the motor under reasonable conditions on the street . I try to avoid high heat operation. The sleeves are thinner and it is air cooled. It is a very good running bike. Also I don't think a stock engine would be any less fun to ride. They are great running motors. Either way they're going to be a lot tamer than the CR500.
Hank don't care ... he hasn't been seen since 2009.
It is good to hear about your bikes though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts