Honda Twins banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm puzzled.

I've read several times on this board, and taken it as gospel, that the 175 carbs have a 20mm choke, whilst the 200 carbs 'only' have 18mm, and that this is one of the reasons for the 200s parity of horsepower with the higher revving 175.

I've just opened a package, containing a pair of CB200 carbs. To my eye, the carbs are identical. Both have '20' cast on the carb tops. The carb bodies appear identical, and my probing finger confirms my visual opinion, that the choke sizes are IDENTICAL. (Jets and needles obviously differ.) Any explanation for this ?

The one marked difference is the length of the inlet tract. CB200 manifolds are some 10mm shorter than the 175 manifolds and spacers. Which may account for the following observation.

I'd assumed that CB200 and CB175 air filters were identical, and I have fitted CB200 filters to my 175. However, I have noticed that the rubber intake trumpets are slightly kinked and compressed where they slip on the carb bellmouths. This is probably due to that extra 10mm in length on the 175 manifolds.

View attachment 75101
could you post more about the length from each of those? I have cb200 that need intake manifold replacement, still thinking to get one from cb175 or remake the cb200 one (considering cost wise). Does the length different have significant effect on the power later on?

thx

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
The total length for the CB175 ( distance from cylinder head face to carb face ) is 550mm, as accurately as I can measure it. This includes the gasket, insulator, alloy manifold and 'O' rings at either end.

The CB200 rubber manifold doesn't have an insulator or gaskets, just 'O' rings at either end, and measures 450mm, again with the same proviso regarding accuracy, my eyeballs and a plastic ruler.

You can fit the CB200 rubber manifolds with the CB175 insulators, to arrive at similar length to CB175 setup, rubber manifolds being pretty much the same length as the alloy manifolds minus insulators. Need to fit longer studs to Cb200 head if you do this.

gap.jpg

Power difference ? Might be measurable on a dyno, certainly didn't seem any different on the road, but then I'm the heretic who believes that (UK, at least) CB200 carbs are same size as CB175 ones.

Reactions: 8AD

·
Registered
59 Posts
The total length for the CB175 ( distance from cylinder head face to carb face ) is 550mm, as accurately as I can measure it. This includes the gasket, insulator, alloy manifold and 'O' rings at either end.

The CB200 rubber manifold doesn't have an insulator or gaskets, just 'O' rings at either end, and measures 450mm, again with the same proviso regarding accuracy, my eyeballs and a plastic ruler.

You can fit the CB200 rubber manifolds with the CB175 insulators, to arrive at similar length to CB175 setup, rubber manifolds being pretty much the same length as the alloy manifolds minus insulators. Need to fit longer studs to Cb200 head if you do this.

View attachment 126762

Power difference ? Might be measurable on a dyno, certainly didn't seem any different on the road, but then I'm the heretic who believes that (UK, at least) CB200 carbs are same size as CB175 ones.
thank you, i will give a go for cb175 set up. Some other cb200 going around in the neighborhood, they dont have the rubber manifold anymore. I guess the only way is either buy the used one, or remake using metal with additional insulator.

thanks again, much appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I realize this thread is over 4 years old but having all the info in the same place might be useful. The question I have is how does the CB/CL 175 or CB200 carb compare to the SL175 carb? I remember reading somewhere years age that the SL carb was slightly bigger but I cant seem to verify that now. Does anyone have this info? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
You'd get a definitive answer over the other site, but for what it's worth, the CB/CL and SL175 carbs are all essentially the same. Same choke size, same float height etc. Different jets in each case, and ( according to the experts ) some internal differences in the internal passages.

I think that the CL175 sloper had 22mm carbs, but again, that's outside my knowledge and experience.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts