Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a CB500T and it doesn't run smoothly. Compression is good, ignition is correct. I believe its in his carbs. Has anybody had any luck with a different set of carbs...Mikuni possibly? I have dissembled his carbs, removed all jets and thoroughly cleaned and inspected. Compressed air blown though all ports, etc. I am wondering if one of the brass plugs is leaking, allowing it to run a little lean on that side. What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
514 Posts
If you do a search, you'll note that some of the aftermarket rebuild kit jets aren't calibrated properly and cause their own runability issues. The general consensus is to use the original brass whenever possible.

Yes, many here convert to Mikuni, Dime City Cycles carries them as a kit but they're not the only supplier. All are for the most part pre-jetted that'll get you "close" but some additional work/jetting may be needed. Others on the forum have done different things, I used carbs from a Suzuki T500 on mine. All are 32mm venturi. I've been recently experimenting with Keihin Pwk33'S on my bike ('68 CL450), IMO, carburates better than the Mikuni's.

If you're a purist and have original air clearners, the OEM keihins can be made to work, and work well.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Have you vacuum sync'd the CB500T carbs? That would make a HUGE difference in the bike's performance.

BTW I'm in N. Kitsap :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts