Honda Twins banner

CB 500 key number

756 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  dlslick 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where to find the key number on a 76 CB500T ? On my other bikes the number is visible right on the front of the tumbler but not on this 500 I Just brought home tonight. The bike has an ignition and a seat latch that are keyed. The steering lock is incorporated in the ignition switch on this bike which is between the instruments.

#2 ·
Don... I believe it is on the side of the actual switch (which is a PITA to remove)... I have one loose at the shop, I'll check and get back to you.... Steve

#3 ·
Thanks. Seem to remember that on the GL1000s that I have had. This switch looks very similar to those. Makes sense since they are the same vintage.

#5 ·
dlslick said:
Does anyone know where to find the key number on a 76 CB500T ? On my other bikes the number is visible right on the front of the tumbler but not on this 500 I Just brought home tonight. The bike has an ignition and a seat latch that are keyed. The steering lock is incorporated in the ignition switch on this bike which is between the instruments.
Buy this and it will tell you (well it won't TELL you as it can't speak). But you can read it, silently to your self, and after, utter a long drawn out, aaaahhhhhh is see :lol: :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB ... 500wt_1182

#6 ·
Ok, I may have one of those manuals under the seat that I can't open because the PO didn't have they key. ( He is looking for it )
I think there is a number stamped somewhere and I will find it. They are right on the outside if the tumbler on the older ones as everyone knows but not on these newer bikes with the ignition in a dash on the handlebars.
Don

#7 ·
The previous owner found the key and is sending it to me. Cant wait to see if this thing will run. I have it ready to try, carbs cleaned, oil changed, plugs cleaned. Wish me luck.
Don

#8 ·
Just an update and maybe some info that might help others. The key the guy sent is not the correct one. I took the seat latch off the bike and took it to a locksmith and he showed me that there is a number on the casting that houses the tumbler. I couldnt see it until he pointed it out and was in a better light than in my garage. He was able to make a key from that number. Just about any good locksmith should be able to do this. Cant wait to get home from work and try it in the ignition. Keep your fingers crossed.
Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.