Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I did my license last year so I have no idea of motorcycles, if you have an advice please address me like a toddler.

Last week the oil light on the dashboard turned red. First I thought in my naivety maybe that mean oil change.
But it turned out that changed nothing.

Is there something I can do myself? I would love to get better in identifying issues myself.
What's the best approach to find the problem?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
As I understand it, that light is to confirm there is oil pressure. It'll be red when the bike isn't running because the pump isn't pumping. It should turn off once the bike turns on.
Another thing to try, is flip the kill switch and hit the starter button for like 3 seconds. Maybe after a couple bursts the light should go off.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
That's the low oil pressure light, triggers at @3-4 psi.
I'd suspect that the wiring may be frayed and grounding to the engine or the oil pressure sender has failed. I don't have n FSM for this model but looking at the parts fiche the sender is listed with the oil pump and neutral safety switch. That indicates to me that the sender is located on the right side of the engine case just below the cylinders like the 400 engines were, might be hidden by the right case cover. There's a single wire that is a ground circuit, the sender achieves ground when there's no oil pressure. If the wire is shorting to the case then there's a ground giving you the light on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.

Hitting the start button didn't do the trick.

I checked the wire and by glancing over it it seems there is no problem.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Did you locate the sending unit? If it's under the right cover as I suspect then it's hidden and you'll only find the wire leading to it. If that's the case then the right cover has to come off to get to it. I'd replace that and see if it cures it. New cover gasket will be needed as well. You will have to re-assemble everything to see if that fixes the problem, not a great design feature by Honda

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips.

I had to do an inspection anyway so I brought it into the shop.
The mechanic said the cable was broken in two spots and he replaced it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts