Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that frame and engine VINs didn’t sync for the early Honda US imports. I am looking at a bike with engine # CB 450E-10002xxx. The frame VIN is CB 450-10004xxx. This would be considered a non- matching bike as the numbers are almost 2,000 off correct? Also, why and E on the engine vin and no E on the frame?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
^^^^ in both sets of numbers above replace the 1000 digit with a 100.Added an extra 0 to each set.

·
Registered
581 Posts
All of the CB450 K0s that I own have serial numbers that are roughly 2000 apart. All but one are known to have the original motor. The frame VIN doesn't have an E on it. The E is for "engine".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought the E might mean Engine. Just to confirm, a set of VINs 2000 off would still be considered matching? My 1965 CL72 is 30 off and that is considered normal given the how the manufacturing line was setup. 2000 seemed a bit high, so I thought I would ask...

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have a 65 CB77 that has matching numbers, but it is the only one that I've seen. That's why I've held on to that one. The CBs and CLs seem to have a closer match. I've had several CB72s and CB77s, and they all have numbers within a few hundred. The CB450s seem to have a wider spread. I would say that yours are good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts