Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1966 CB450 I just pulled out of a barn. It has a Harley tank and needs a lot of love. It hasn't been started up since 1983. I just finished rebuilding the carburetors and am ready to see if she will fire up. I would really like to know if I am getting oil pressure. I don't see any type of sensor on the engine, am I just not finding it? What is the easiest way to know if I am getting oil pressure?

·
Registered
175 Posts
The 450 doesn't really have much oil pressure because it has a roller bearing crank and roller bearings depend on flow, not pressure to lubricate them - and they don't need much lubrication, being rollers... the bottom end is pretty bomb proof. I'm told it takes over a minute at idle for oil to get to the cams so - for a motor that hasn't been run for years - it might be a good idea to take the cam covers off and squirt oil all over the mechanical parts. It's also not a bad idea to take the case sides off and check the oil sump for dirt and water - because the case bottom is webbed, just draining the oil may not get everything out. Taking out the oil pump and cleaning the screen isn't a bad idea, if you're up for it... and cleaning the clutch plates also helps, because they often get stuck together by polymerized oil (not to mention rust) that won't flush out of them and gives you clutch drag.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
There's no oil pressure to speak of.

Several ways to check if you have top end oiling -

1) With the engine running, loosen the front right head bolt - oil should come out there pretty good.
2) Loosen the big nut on the end of the tach drive (just a little) while the engine runs - you should see oil leak there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts