Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got a 73 CB 450 DOHC.. low beam is out. Looked online for a possible "replacement" but concidering a LED replacement since these bikes don't have the most stellar charging systems...
I have seen 7" replacement style housings costing $65 and then $50 for the bulb.. I'm sure it is great but that is a bit steep when there is s slew of LED bulbs out there..
Has anyone "converted" successfully without electrical issues, a sealed beam headlight to LED? I'm talking cutting the old old element out and fabricate and install a LED element...
I mean it is worth a shot, I just don't want to melt any wires or overload my charging system..
ANY INFO or suggestions in this area would be greatly appeciated...

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think this thread is a victim of the PhotoBucket fiasco, but I knew I remembered seeing this mod somewhere - http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/50...adlight-install-oem-sealed-beam-headlamp.html

I think the gist of it is that they were able to carefully cut the glass around the end of the sealed beam, remove the old bulb, and use a cement putty to glue an H4 socket into the hole it left, then use one of the H4-style LEDs (there are tons on eBay) as a native fit to the H4 mount. I also recall someone saying that they were glad to have a few spare sealed beams on hand, as they broke more than one in the process :D so YMMV there. As for overloading your charging system, just ensure you're on a modern R/R (Kohler, Sparck Moto, etc) and you should be good to go - that'll help the weak charging as well.

As an aside, I went for the replacement bucket and LED bulb (I think in total I put $80 into it), and it definitely helps with the weak charging situation, as well as your on-road visibility.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JD.. yes I am interested in the bulb...
I went the web, purchased (very cheap) LED Headlight "replacement bulb"..using a cut off wheel I was able to remove the bulb from the back. The sphere part of the bulb actually stayed intact, untill I started removing the insulation from the bulb side walls. It fell inside, then broke.. once pieces were removed.. I fit the cheap bulb in.. a little hot glue and the fit as supprisingly good.
Now, this was no means a perminate bulb or replacement .. this was strictly EXPERIMENTAL. I wanted to see if I could replace a bulb... and if so.. how well LEDs worked as a replacement..
Results... the bulb was cheap.. and it showed.. no real "projection" of a beam.. but then again.. the origional bulb did the same. Anyway, here are photos of "side by side with my wife's 450.. motors NOT running... I discovered the phone camera compensated and the light wasn't all that great...
I'm gonna purchase a better LED.. install it see what that looks like.
Also.. I discovered (as best as I could see- I need to drill a screw out to confirm) my wife's 450 has a upgraded (possibly halogen) bulb. That would explain the motor "cutting out" at low idle (only with the Headlight on).. the electronic ignition requires 8v constant.. and at low idle I'm sure that causes a votage drop.. gonna put a meter on and verify as best I can.. IMG_6433.jpg IMG_6436.JPG IMG_6439.JPG
You can clearly see how "cheap" these are.. but they served their pourpose..
IMG_6440.jpg IMG_6441.jpg IMG_6443.jpg IMG_6447.jpg you can see the low beam element burned out
IMG_6462.jpg low beams
IMG_6463.jpg high beams
IMG_6472.jpg wife's bike beam
IMG_6473.jpg LED..
Not the greatest projection.. im gonna continue on this and post more also

IMG_6454.jpg my wife's lens is flat
IMG_6457.jpg best pic of her bulb I can get at this time..

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The headlight from a 1980 to 83 GL1100 (all models) will fit the K5 to K7 CB450. The is the 7 inches headlight. The GL headlight is a H4 beam and any H4 bulb will fit. I have one on my K5 and are running a 45/45W H4 Halogen bulb. I have a home boy harness, PAMCO ignition with Dyna coils. It works fine, no charging issues.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info... I'm concidering "splicing" the two stator wires (constant higher output) if I see significant draw at idle when the light is switched on..
I'm betting her bulb is what you are talking about..
Again
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts