Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going thru my 74' CB 450 Engine Tune-up and doing pretty well. Want to re-iterate the cam chain adjustment procedure. My Clymer shop manual says to turn crank counter clockwise until left piston at TDC ( LT mark on alternator aligns with index pointer ). Now continue turning crank counter clockwise 90 degrees from TDC. Loosen locknut, then bolt allowing spring loaded plunger to automatically take up chain slack.

Is this the "Right" procedure ?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Going thru my 74' CB 450 Engine Tune-up and doing pretty well. Want to re-iterate the cam chain adjustment procedure. My Clymer shop manual says to turn crank counter clockwise until left piston at TDC ( LT mark on alternator aligns with index pointer ). Now continue turning crank counter clockwise 90 degrees from TDC. Loosen locknut, then bolt allowing spring loaded plunger to automatically take up chain slack.

Is this the "Right" procedure ?
I always do it with the valve covers off while I'm adjusting the valves. That way, you can watch the exhaust cam as you rotate the crankshaft in the direction of rotation (counterclockwise, as shown on the alternator rotor) and one of the lobes begins opening a valve and when it does, the front side of the chain has tension on it - hold the crank there, then loosen the lock bolt (having already loosened the lock nut) and the tensioner will tighten the back side of the chain, then lock the tensioner.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts